#1 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

Hi all
I was wondering what everyones opinion was on waterless wash/wax products.
My mini has been dry stored since 1999 and hasnt seen a drop of rain or a hosepipe in that time. Since owning it all Ive used is a couple of different waterless wash spray products and been happy with the results.

My logic is that this eliminates water getting through the door seals and stuck in places that will end up causing rust but Im guessing its not as thorough a clean.

Love to hear all of your opinions as I couldnt find a thread on here about these kind of products

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,888 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. 

A snow foam clean and a quick wash won't hurt.

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

Same as the above but with a few exceptions.

On a dirty car that hasn't been washed, no way, it's bad enough trying to ovoid scratches and swirls washing with water/shampoo and mitt.

The exception would be on a already washed car as a spray on quick wax, like if i was doing someone else's car (or one that doesn't really matter) and couldn't afford the time to use proper products. It also works brilliantly on mirrors, glass, shower screens windows etc. round the house.

And when washing with water, proving you aren't blasting the door seals with a pressure washer, you won't have any problems. In fact every time I wash mine I peal back the door/opening side window rubbers and dry behind/under them (as well as stuffing a cloth into the gaps behind the a panels/door shuts). As it does two things, it cleans all the dirt that can collect and attract rust, and also check for any rust that may have started to form and be treaded before it becomes an issue.

#4 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:50 PM

fair enough!
so far my mini has only really been dusty and not dirty so ive been using autoglym professional spray wax and a few microfibres to lift off the dust and dirt that settles on it in the garage and from its couple of outings on dry days.

I guess im just a bit paranoid about rust since i currently have a solid car and dont want to cause any avoidable rot! 

#5 Zach P-D

Zach P-D

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 10:52 AM

I still don't like waterless, tried it on my daily that has awful paint and came up poop.
My mini is fairly solid, very little rust and I do the following to it pretty much weekly

Snow Foam/leave to dwell, rinse, 2 bucket wash (3 mitts, one for top 2/3rds of car, one for bottom 1/3, one for wheels) rinse, dry (auto finesse aqua deluxe towels are brilliant). Then monthly I clay bar, polish, glaze and wax it. 

#6 Mervyn

Mervyn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

I take my cars to my local kosovans

Life's too short

Merv

#7 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:40 PM

I have friends in dry states in the US who swear by a ceramic coating, and then waterless cleaning. Their cars don't get as truly filthy as ours do, but I'm told the surface swirls and scratches are limited to the ceramic coating, which is refreshed once a year or so. I can see how that might be do-able, but for British roads the snow foam or good old fashioned shampoo with a soft mitt is a must.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users