26 replies to this topic

#1 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

So can anyone give me some photo of longitudinal mid engine classic mini? I so far have only been able to find one photo on pinterest of a mini setup like this, apart from the concept photo from dpcars

Attached Files

Edited by Mini-dude, 10 April 2018 - 11:02 PM.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

not an easy set up to package in the Mini if you are talking real mid engine as behind the drivers seat.

an old SAAB 2.3 H engine that sat into of the gearbox would have been fun. seen a Hillman Imp with one in the back.

#3 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 11:38 PM

Yes I mean proper mid engine right behind the driver. I been toying with several spaceframe design for my next build, i started with the typical hayabusa type design but then, I started looking into other chassis design and really like the idea of a mid engine mini. The hard part is just finding a small enough package to work with, every transaxle gearbox that I look into would be sticking out several inches out the rear end. But recently I went to a track day and someone had a car with a transaxle called ld200, it was almost a perfect match for it. The diff was right in the center of the case, its not offset like other cheaper gearbox option (audi,subaru, old vw bug gearbox) and it was relatively lightweight, the one major downfall of the ld200 from speaking to the owner was the low torque limit of 165 foot pounds of torque.

Edited by Mini-dude, 11 April 2018 - 03:27 AM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:06 AM

right if you are looking like that i would be looking at a Hewland box. 

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:47 AM

Not sure if this might fit your criteria, but a guy in these parts did a Mid-mount Toyota Engine in to a Moke a few years back;-

http://www.autospeed...adness&A=108267

One issue I see with many of these types of conversions in to a Mini is finding a suitable final drive ratio to suit the smaller wheels.

#6 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

nenault 25 gearbox used to be popular for this sort of thing as it had a square flange so it was easier to make your own bell housing, but these days a lot of people are using the Audi 01e transaxle whioch is a 6 speed.

#7 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:12 AM

So can anyone give me some photo of longitudinal mid engine classic mini? I so far have only been able to find one photo on pinterest of a mini setup like this, apart from the concept photo from dpcars

This one will have plenty of torque....

YJaKWep.jpg

#8 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:49 AM

How about the Minissan, its "practically" mid engined (bonnet & front seats) and drives its 3.0l V6 Nitrous engine via the rear wheels and a standard diff.

http://www.classicmi...rg/minissan.htm

#9 Macming

Macming

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Local Club: Miniclan

Posted 11 April 2018 - 04:03 PM

This monster ran about up here in Scotland years ago, this was the '06 Thistle run. Maybe someone knows if it's still alive, note the driving position. Also this must have been a nightmare to work on.

Attached Files

#10 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

This monster ran about up here in Scotland years ago, this was the '06 Thistle run. Maybe someone knows if it's still alive, note the driving position. Also this must have been a nightmare to work on.

It was sold on eBay just before Christmas; it's now repainted in Audi red.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 09:13 PM

you guys seem to have missed the point of the question.

MID mounted not front mounted.

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:27 AM

In the late 60's, a friend acquired a single seater Formula 4.   It had a very neat 750cc, two stroke, Saab engine & gearbox, which for some reason he hated.

Although you don't like the Imp gearbox, I mated one to a 750 V twin Harley Davidson for him.  It was very compact and quite light, but in a saloon, I'm not sure how you would get enough air to cool it.

#13 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 15 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

Yes I mean proper mid engine right behind the driver. I been toying with several spaceframe design for my next build, i started with the typical hayabusa type design but then, I started looking into other chassis design and really like the idea of a mid engine mini. The hard part is just finding a small enough package to work with, every transaxle gearbox that I look into would be sticking out several inches out the rear end. But recently I went to a track day and someone had a car with a transaxle called ld200, it was almost a perfect match for it. The diff was right in the center of the case, its not offset like other cheaper gearbox option (audi,subaru, old vw bug gearbox) and it was relatively lightweight, the one major downfall of the ld200 from speaking to the owner was the low torque limit of 165 foot pounds of torque.

One of my long term projects is to make a RWD mid engine Mini, front subframe in the rear with the good old A series

I have a 1960 shell partly done my old 999 S engine and 2 of Allan Staniforths 7x10 sandcast 'Mamba' wheels.

Allan Staniforth set a lot of single seater Hillclimband Sprint records with the same setup in his Terrapins, he even used seat webbing as suspension.

I know its transverse rather than longitudinal, but its more up TMF street, there is not a lot of room between the back of the front seat and the rear wheel centre line.

JdZxs8J.jpgGTSUtqJ.jpg

2f9HZOb.jpg

#14 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:45 AM

The problem with the lmp at least for me is it's limited to 4 gear apart from that it is a great lightweight little gearbox. I don't know what is the max power it can take so that be interesting to know. Retroman great information. This link here is has been very helpful in looking at how much space i have to play with (http://g2.nu/chris/mini/background.php).

Edited by Mini-dude, 16 April 2018 - 01:31 AM.

#15 Mini-dude

Mini-dude

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:57 PM

Well did some more measurement and for anyone looking into this the 4 speed ld200 is 17.53 inch long not including input shaft which is around 4 inches. The engine i plan on using is 14.191 inches long and the bell housing was around 6 inches. That around 37.721 inch of space needed for this setup, not bad.

Edited by Mini-dude, 17 April 2018 - 11:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users