5 replies to this topic

#1 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Quick question guys. I am looking to mount the Smiths Classic Speedo https://www.minispor...eedo-90mph.html

into a flat aftermarket dash, is this possible? I only ask as they appear to have special mounting brackets to suit the centre binnacle instead of the U shape clamp type seen in smaller guages.....

Also can someone confirm the diameter of the aperture required to accept this speedo, I am told theyre 100mm but not sure if thats outer diamter including the chrome bezel or the hole needed to accept the speedo.

#2 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:25 AM

No disrespect to the the huge number of knowledgeable members on here, but I think I would prefer to measure the exact size of the speedo before taking a jigsaw to a new dash. At least then if you make a balls up you've only got yourself to blame. Regarding the speedo mounts, a couple of "L" brackets screwed to the back of the dash adjacent to the the speedo screw holes should do the trick.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:36 AM

Also can someone confirm the diameter of the aperture required to accept this speedo, I am told theyre 100mm but not sure if thats outer diamter including the chrome bezel or the hole needed to accept the speedo.

way bigger than 100mm 125 or 130 is more like it but I have no real idea.

#4 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

thanks compdoc. Appreciate what you are saying re the diameter. As I don't have the gauge in my posession yet I was hoping someone could just tell me wha they've cut theres to per perhaps tell me what the manual says?

#5 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:38 PM

My original is 130mm diameter, but as others have said it'd be best to double check.

It fits with 2 bolts, M5 fitted mine. You'll need 2 uprights like what i've done on my fibreglass one, then the screws go through.

75ekFNT.jpg

#6 Shaggy33

Shaggy33

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:34 PM

Thanks Alex very helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users