#1 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor Regis Motor Club

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

Hi, I've seen a few posts on this but cant really find what i'm looking for. I would like a new oil temp gauge so i can check the oil is getting up to temp even with my new super cooling system (minispares pump + 2 core rad) and when it does.

Seems like there are 3 options:

1. DSN sender unit. Pro - looks good. Cons - not exactly cheap, understand I would need to buy a flexible braided hose as well (and also not cheap).

http://www.dsnclassi...mp-sensor-hole/

2. Somerford Mini Adapter. Pro - its fairly inexpensive and would do the job. Cons - I'm worried that the oil filter would either hit the sub-frame (i've measured it to be only 15-20mm clearance) or be really difficult to spin on.

http://www.somerford...oducts_id=14688

3. Minispares Sump Plug Adapter. Pro's - its the cheapest option. Con's - not sure I like the idea of wiring right at the bottom of the car (something to get ripped off), also not sure if measuring the oil temp in the sump is the right thing to do anyway.

https://www.minispar...assic/HPS8.aspx

Any comments on this would gladly be received. I'm most tempted by option 2 but I want to make sure the oil filter won't foul on anything. See my engine bay for reference.

Also, I read something on minispares about the stock oil feed pipe being very restrictive - is this the case then and braided hoses are much better? they say that the "major benefit is that the bigger holes allow more flow of oil which can be a cheap source of more BHP", can that really be true?

Cheers,

Attached Files

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:20 PM

the DSN option.

#3 Swift_General

Swift_General

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:51 PM

The DSN option is obviously neat and tidy. I have however used the Somerfords adaptor without clearence issue, and it is cheaper than the DSN. I wouldn't bother with the sump adaptor as it doesn't tell you the temperature of the oil delivered to the bearings.

Edited by Swift_General, 14 April 2018 - 03:18 PM.

#4 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:43 PM

Not sure I buy the 'bigger oil pipe more bhp' Minispares pitch:https://www.minispar...ic/MOC1018.aspx

To quote Minispares: 'If you have an engine later than 1990 with a 12A prefix engine number or SPI it is likely that you have the later type oil pipe from engine to filter head. This type has been known to leak and even pop out under arduous conditions and this replacement braided pipe eliminates this problem. Its other major benefit is that the bigger holes allow more flow of oil which can be a cheap source of more BHP and negates any need of an oil cooler under most circumstances'

Higher oil pressure at the oil pump and/or an oversized oil pump flow capacity will indeed cost bhp, but I don't think that is what they are saying here.

#5 jt19

jt19

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:09 PM

I use both DSN and Somerford's options but I'm using the DSN filter as a oil return from my turbo. 😃

#6 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:47 PM

Not sure I buy the 'bigger oil pipe more bhp' Minispares pitch:https://www.minispar...ic/MOC1018.aspx

To quote Minispares: 'If you have an engine later than 1990 with a 12A prefix engine number or SPI it is likely that you have the later type oil pipe from engine to filter head. This type has been known to leak and even pop out under arduous conditions and this replacement braided pipe eliminates this problem. Its other major benefit is that the bigger holes allow more flow of oil which can be a cheap source of more BHP and negates any need of an oil cooler under most circumstances'

Higher oil pressure at the oil pump and/or an oversized oil pump flow capacity will indeed cost bhp, but I don't think that is what they are saying here.

Umm.. OK, don't have an SPI, its a A+ metro unit from the mid 80's, so this doesn't then apply to me my the sounds of it.

If plenty of people have used the Somerfords option with no issues then I think I will give that a go. Can't really justify a 60 quid DSN adapter + 60 on hoses, when a 20 quid one will do the job!

#7 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 06:51 PM

Another vote for the DSN version. Im using it with an electric sender and it works a treat.

#8 Trissy B

Trissy B

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

Well.... I ended up splashing out and getting the DSN version! It seems really good quality, currently not on but I trial fitted and whilst the sender doesn't exactly clash with the alternator.. its tight! And i'm worried I will make life harder for myself in the future as I doubt you could drop the alternator easily.

What sender have people used? I opted for the 'normal' type electrical sender that you use for the watter temp in the head.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users