Photo

Rear Fog Light Removal (1995)

Best Answer DeanP , 22 April 2018 - 05:57 PM

Just to complete the topic.

I disconnected the cables in the boot and dropped them through the closing panel to hang free.

Using a slitting disc, I cut the fog light bracket to free the fog light from the car exposing the 2 x phillips screws holding the bracket on.

Having soaked the screws in plus gas I then set to task by staring at the screws very hard in the hope that like Superman they would just unscrew.

That didn't work, so I tried to unscrew them with a phillips screw driver.

That didn't work, so using the slitting disc I cut the head of the screw to create two opposing flats so an 8mm spanner would go over.

I put the spanner over and like magic they unscrewed, keeping the the captivated nuts intact inside the closed panel.

I then celebrated with a cup of tea..

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

Hi all,

Any advice on how to remove a rear fog light and bracket without killing the captivated nuts in the box section and the fog lamp?

I think the bracket is held on with two phillips head screws, one accessible the other behind the lamp?

Does the lamp come off the bracket? No screws inside the lamp and if there are nuts behind the bracket they don't look like nuts so maybe someone previously has rounded them off?

Thanks

#2 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 11:53 PM

soak it over a week in wd40 or plus gas......... bracket is held on with two Phillip's head screws, one accessible the other behind the lamp?

oh you have to have one fitted for a mot or ya get pulled by pod if the notice??after a certain year

Edited by ukcooper, 15 April 2018 - 11:56 PM.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:03 AM

just drill out the fittings and then refit new rivnuts.

#4 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

thanks guys

#5 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:57 PM   Best Answer

Just to complete the topic.

I disconnected the cables in the boot and dropped them through the closing panel to hang free.

Using a slitting disc, I cut the fog light bracket to free the fog light from the car exposing the 2 x phillips screws holding the bracket on.

Having soaked the screws in plus gas I then set to task by staring at the screws very hard in the hope that like Superman they would just unscrew.

That didn't work, so I tried to unscrew them with a phillips screw driver.

That didn't work, so using the slitting disc I cut the head of the screw to create two opposing flats so an 8mm spanner would go over.

I put the spanner over and like magic they unscrewed, keeping the the captivated nuts intact inside the closed panel.

I then celebrated with a cup of tea..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users