21 replies to this topic

#16 RichieRich

RichieRich

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

I have nearly all of that apart from the drilling of subframe, GRP seats or doors, is it not safe to drill the rear subframe? Also what about the cf boot floors? Carbon is supposed to be really strong?

#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,934 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

I’ve also thought about the wilwood pedal set which would allow the correct brake set up. I’m not trying to justify a beam, just seeing people’s views and trying to understand how some people seem to be fine but others dead against it.
I don’t want to make the wrong decision but would like to do it if I can get it rite

i can not see the point it fitting one to a road mini of any type. the roads just dont do anything for them they can not cope it them. you mention a strut brace. so changing the tank? and you dont need a strut brace as the beam would take that load you just need more strength as all the top mount had to do was hold the shock top in place and not take any car loading. 7X13s have you tubbed the arches yet? if not expect the wheel to rub. and even then you may still not get a look you want and be able to have a half ok ride on the roads.

if i was me alloy arms subframe and new rubbers.

but i dont like alloy arms.

yes i have a "beam" but with Metro arms, there is a reason for that, with shocks that do not have stupid funny angled bits on them to make then fit.

yes it is tubbed.

yes it has a cross brace , and more

yes it has a rear ARB.

yes it has bump stops fitted as every regularity causes issues. and contact. sit in the back and it sits on the bump stops after a moment

but it is your car. but you will not get better than the subframe and rubber cone.

#18 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:33 PM

Can't think there'd be much to save drilling a rear subby. A lot of it is thinner than the front and avoiding the spot welds would leave little scope. You might manage to take a bit off the cross members, but Cooperman's comment about overall integrity still applies. 

#19 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:34 AM

One of the problems with weight reduction is the need to keep the front/rear percentage weight distribution as near the same as possible.
One other good thing if creating a lighter weight road Mini is to fit 4.5" x 10" alloy wheels. Then not only is the weight reduced, it is the unsprung weight which is less.
Then wheel arch extensions are not needed and the aerodynamic drag is reduced. With a lighter car a 145/80 x 10 tyre can be used and wet road holding and braking will be better. Add to that a narrower tyre and the drag is reduced still further. You also save the weight of the extensions - every little helps.
Then the driver needs to go on a diet😁

#20 RichieRich

RichieRich

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:41 AM

I’m going to stick with the subframe and see if I can get some cheeky drill holes in it, Nothing ridiculous though. I already have an alloy tank which I will sit on a carbon boot floor.
I am going to change to 10”s though, but I do like wide wheels so the cf miglia arches will stay which way almost nothing. If they cause drag I will put up with that. The car isn’t driven in the rain so I don’t have to worry about that.

#21 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:21 AM

I’m going to stick with the subframe and see if I can get some cheeky drill holes in it, Nothing ridiculous though. I already have an alloy tank which I will sit on a carbon boot floor.
I am going to change to 10”s though, but I do like wide wheels so the cf miglia arches will stay which way almost nothing. If they cause drag I will put up with that. The car isn’t driven in the rain so I don’t have to worry about that.

If you're determined to drill holes in the subframe just remember it's part of the protection for the rear in the event of a shunt from a vehicle behind. You need to think about the structural integrity of it when you drill the holes. You've listed other areas where you've reduced weight at the back, to keep the handling balance you need to consider safely removing a similar amount of weight from the front.

#22 RichieRich

RichieRich

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:39 AM

I suppose for the amount I will save it might not be worth the holes. I have removed weight from the front like carbon bonnet, alloy drive flanges, alloy callipers and lots of small alloy parts. Still a steel front though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users