9 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

So, I just took my 94 Spi on a 860 mile road trip. It was wonderful! The weather was perfect and car ran really well the entire time...that is until I was nearly home. I had stopped about 20 miles out to fill up. The weather turned and was lightly raining. As I filled up, the rain became more steady/heavy. I pulled away from the station and instantly I noticed that it was harder to pull away in first gear. I got to a traffic light and it stalled as I went to go. It started but took a lot longer and sounded weak. After that, the car was really hard to get off the line. It would hit a dead stop and nearly conk out. I would have to be VERY careful with the throttle. After it was off, it seemed to run fine through the other gears. As soon as I slow down though, it would act up. It was like there was a dead spot in the TPS. Just off idle was ok but a little more in and it would nearly cut out but if you back off and go at it slower you could get through it and it would rev.

I haven't had a chance to hook it up to MEMs yet as I was exhausted from the trip and it was late but wanted to know what I should be looking for. 

#2 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 04:52 PM

hi brivinci

do you have the water protection shield in front of your distributor and ignition cables?

#3 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:27 PM

Nope!! Haven't run one in a decade. Maybe I'll pull the cap and see how it looks inside. The only thing about that is why would it only effect first gear/really low revs?

#4 Milton

Milton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: what no brakes

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

Worth checking the vacuum pipe connections on the manifold and the connections to the air filter and fuel trap / ecu

#5 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

why is the mini equiped with that protection originally? :-)

#6 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:16 PM

my 95 spi copper was

#7 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

All the vacuum hoses are proper thickness silicone now. I have removed the heat exchange valve on the airbox (switched to the MPi snout) as I no longer have the heat shield. Always nice to eliminate some vacuum lines when possible. 

I am going to have a poke around the car and see if water has in fact gotten in anywhere it should not have. I have driven through some pretty serious stuff before with no issues but I guess it only takes once to cause havoc. 

#8 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:23 PM

Bad fuel? Seems odd she ran fine then issue after you refuelled. Could be shorting on HT side due to moisture but a heavy dose of WD40 usually sees to that. My JDMs dont have the older dizzy shield just a small square panel behind grill. No issues here and we do get a lot or rain in Scotland!

FS

#9 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 01:14 PM

I plan on driving it tomorrow so I will see if the problem still exists. 

#10 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:21 PM

Well, took the car out today and it seemed to be back to normal. I had a poke around quickly and noticed that there was water collected around the #1 lead at the dizzy side. I took it off, cleaned it and put some dielectric grease in it. Not sure if that was the problem the fact that there was still evidence of water after sitting since Sunday says something. Thanks all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users