#1 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:59 PM

hello

i'm thinking about getting my mini undersealed as it barely has any on (and getting water in both front footwells)

just wondering if you've had this done by someone else how much have you paid?

(i dont have the space to do this myself)

thanks in advance! :)

#2 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

think you mini is rusty

under seal will just hide rust and not solve your problem , water in foot wells you need to trace the problem like doors seals hole in body scuttle and get them propyl repaired ,

undersealed is really for new panels and has to replaced every year or 2 or if you want to bodge it.

take it two a back street garage and ask them tin of spray or 2 40 quid couple hours labour here in stoke 80/90 quid so guessing 160 with vat .them 0000's to repair what they find

id rent a garage and do it me Sen..

#3 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

I paid for £100 to get my mk2 Golf undersealed think the company said a mini would be around £75-£80 to under seal

#4 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 18 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

I would use a company recommended by Buzzweld. They seem to know there stuff.

Also do not bother with a cheap job you will only end up with the person covering up stuff and actually doing more harm than good.

A £100 job is going to be utter rubbish!

#5 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

Also do not bother with a cheap job you will only end up with the person covering up stuff and actually doing more harm than good.

The job they did on the mk2 was excellent, used a two pac sealer called Raptor seal, owned the car just over a year and the under seal was still perfect from when they did it. Just because it’s good value doesn’t mean it’s a crap job

#6 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

think you mini is rusty

under seal will just hide rust and not solve your problem , water in foot wells you need to trace the problem like doors seals hole in body scuttle and get them propyl repaired ,

undersealed is really for new panels and has to replaced every year or 2 or if you want to bodge it.

take it two a back street garage and ask them tin of spray or 2 40 quid couple hours labour here in stoke 80/90 quid so guessing 160 with vat .them 0000's to repair what they find

id rent a garage and do it me Sen..

to be honest mine isn't too bad.. famous last words ;), the local classic car place by me said they are going to find out where the water is coming up from, was just wondering what people paid to have it done :) , so do you think it's worth not bothering with the underseal and spend the money elsewhere? (bodywork) some idiot jacked up the passenger sill and you can see where its cracked the sound proofing etc so i think that's the issue that side, but not sure on drivers! sill looks okay but i know it can come from anywhere, 

i'm desperately trying to find a garage by me but no luck :( 

#7 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

i will take a look thanks mate !

#8 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

I paid for £100 to get my mk2 Golf undersealed think the company said a mini would be around £75-£80 to under seal

okay cheers :)

#9 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 12:34 PM

I don't know of any in notts but you have minimine in stoke if ya can get a lift back , while your at the garage you find/ ask for a death list = what needs doing's like a mot but unofficial

then you have some where to start then decide weather change it .scrap it , or spend spend spend . ( general comment that is )but you got think straight seen bills for 20k on a mini and if you can not do most of the work ya self been honest a mini is not for you , yer know I'm a ******* but truth hurt's and I know ya want to learn and hands on is the best, but you need a lock up with power a welder and other toys but the welder only 5 hours labour witch soon goes very quickly ...

YOU WILL END UP WITHA BIG BILL AND OTHER WORK ON TOP LIKE inner sill's and what can not be seen on the inners of the car

back to said problem , pull ya carpets seats out dust the floor with telcome?? powder and go for a jet wash, see if ya can see where the waters coming in oh and it will be above the floor level rear window's are a good bet...

Edited by ukcooper, 19 April 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#10 jonny f

jonny f

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Local Club: Boxhill Mini Club

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

The job they did on the mk2 was excellent, used a two pac sealer called Raptor seal, owned the car just over a year and the under seal was still perfect from when they did it. Just because it’s good value doesn’t mean it’s a crap job

To get a good coating of UPOL Raptor on a mini you're looking at 3 bottles, at £20 a go I am amazed anyone could do a good job for £100 all in. We're not in china!

By all means post some photos of the work and the process they took, would love to see it!

#11 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:35 PM

The job they did on the mk2 was excellent, used a two pac sealer called Raptor seal, owned the car just over a year and the under seal was still perfect from when they did it. Just because its good value doesnt mean its a crap job

To get a good coating of UPOL Raptor on a mini you're looking at 3 bottles, at £20 a go I am amazed anyone could do a good job for £100 all in. We're not in china!

By all means post some photos of the work and the process they took, would love to see it!
I dont have any pictures but they used Raptor seal on the car, it was a good job, as I said just because it didnt cost an arm and a leg doesnt mean it isnt a good job

Edited by creakyjaws5533, 19 April 2018 - 04:35 PM.

#12 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:25 PM

hello

i'm thinking about getting my mini undersealed as it barely has any on (and getting water in both front footwells)

just wondering if you've had this done by someone else how much have you paid?

(i dont have the space to do this myself)

thanks in advance! :)

One of the main things is to make sure its spotless underneath and dry, otherwise its a waste of time

Unless its a new build it takes a while to clean out all the nooks and crannies...

Headlight bowl backs, A panel corners, scuttle panel corners, rear subframe mounts / radius arm mounts / heel board

Its amazing how much dust and crud ends up on the floor 

If you underseal the dust and moisture in its just covering rust trouble for the future

I used to look after a 72 Clubman that had an annual clean and blast with old oil and had done for years, the MOT man was always amazed. So I did the same on it 3 times, at the annual service it went home with new oil in the gearbox and the old oil coating the under-body and subframe. The only other one I have seen as good and original has been in France all its life, minimum moisture and dry climate makes a huge difference.

#13 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 06:17 PM

Minis rust from the top down, not the bottom up. Thats to say that your biggest enemy is water getting in from the upper shell (door seals, window runners etc..) and not being able to get out.

With that in mind, applying a heavy under seal is a pointless exercise. Its no bad thing to get under there and clean up what you can get to, but I wouldnt go mad.

#14 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

In my opinion, undersealant is a good thing, especially inside any cavities but use a wax or oil based product and No bitumen products.

Edited by dotmatrix, 20 April 2018 - 08:09 PM.

#15 matto224

matto224

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

I don't know of any in notts but you have minimine in stoke if ya can get a lift back , while your at the garage you find/ ask for a death list = what needs doing's like a mot but unofficial

then you have some where to start then decide weather change it .scrap it , or spend spend spend . ( general comment that is )but you got think straight seen bills for 20k on a mini and if you can not do most of the work ya self been honest a mini is not for you , yer know I'm a ******* but truth hurt's and I know ya want to learn and hands on is the best, but you need a lock up with power a welder and other toys but the welder only 5 hours labour witch soon goes very quickly ...

YOU WILL END UP WITHA BIG BILL AND OTHER WORK ON TOP LIKE inner sill's and what can not be seen on the inners of the car

back to said problem , pull ya carpets seats out dust the floor with telcome?? powder and go for a jet wash, see if ya can see where the waters coming in oh and it will be above the floor level rear window's are a good bet...

I've found a garage by me who's prepared to go over the bodywork for me and give me the low-down , hopefully it isn't too bad. (everything crossed) i have had it on a ramp before and to be honest it looks OK. no massive holes is a good start, but then again im new to minis's and don't have the eye for it yet, i would love to learn how to weld and do bodywork myself as you are right it will save me a fortune, first things first is getting a lock up so i can start doing some of the work myself! i think i would have a heart attack if someone handed me a 20k bill lol!! i will also check the floor again myself and take it round the jet-wash and see what i get, we had some bad rain and flooding a few weeks back and i drove a good 100 miles in it so i know that's what caused it, i have taken out my carpets and waiting for the rain again (wont take long lol) and see if that does anything, thanks for your advice and your honesty :D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users