#1 DUF2

DUF2

Formally known as DUFfi

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Local Club: Whickham & DMC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

Whilst bleeding the brakes on my Elf 8.4" four pot calipers, I have snapped one of the bleed nipples, it is the one on the side of the caliper.
As these calipers have three bleed nipples can I get the air out of the remaining two bleed nipples?
I was able to get fluid out of the top nipple and do have a reasonable pedal.
Any ideas on how to remove & replace the snapped nipple?

#2 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 07:16 PM

no wont work with 2 nipples

wd40 it a couple of days or plus gas

flat blade screw driver just a bit bigger than the hole in the nipple a hammer it in and try twisting it out..

find out what drill size it is for the tap of a bleed nipple and get a left hand drill that size or just a bit smaller and see if it will drill out.

replace-take off the unit and then take it a machine shop get it eroded or machined out ..

mean time order a nipple you need.

#3 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:47 PM

I'd try sticking a stick weld electrode on it and twist it out.
The heat will loosen it most of the time. Try not to damage the seat of the nipple.

#4 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

I've.bled.these.with.only.one.nipple.before.by.unbolting.the.callier.and.altering.the.angle.to.get.the.air.out.

#5 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:08 PM

in my experience if you have connected two hoses to each calliper you can bleed them if you snap the inside bleed nipple, but not the top or outside. If you only have one hose to each calliper I don't know.

they tend to snap those bleed nipples, I always put copper grease on them before I put them in.

when they snap we usually weld a nut on the bleed nipple, the heat from welding normally makes it possible to screw it out.

Edited by dotmatrix, 19 April 2018 - 09:09 PM.

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:17 PM

Plus gas is far more efficient than wd40 ... but sounds like the bleed nipple has been overtightened. Reverse drill bit might also work .. with drill on reverse drive too.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:46 PM

4 pot caliper? The top nipple serves the top cylinders on both sides. As the link between the bottom cylinders is through the mating faces of the caliper halves under the pistons they need 2 nipples- one at the highest point on each side. Try and arrange your remaining nipple to be the highest point. You might have to resort to pushing the opposite piston, with the caliper upside down, to push trapped air from one side to the side where it can be expelled via the bleed passage.

If you end up drilling out the broken nipple and destroy bleed screw seat, one trick to salvage the situation is to use a ball bearing held in with a male brake union.

#8 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

Happened twice on me when I ran my metro set up couldnt take it any more so went 10 inch best decision ever

Edited by cian, 20 April 2018 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users