#1 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:58 PM

So i have come across a problem.

So engine is out and dismantled everything else and removed it from the engine bay. It seems the paint on the engine bay could well be hammerite.

I'm having to clean it all up and treat the rusty areas I don't really have the time to sit and rub it all down back to metal.

My car respray due to funds will not happen till end of the year but id like to get everything else done and don't really have the time to be waiting till then to get all the engine bay stuff done, clutch brakes subframe engine.

I don't have any spray equipment what options do I have and I know some spray paint can be a bit dodgy done without masks

Much help would be appreciated

Cheers

#2 DeanP

DeanP

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

You don't have to rub it back to metal. Just get all the loose stuff off with a wire brush attachment for a drill or hand grinder.

best to get into all the seams around the bulkhead and flitch plates and used a rust converter/stabiliser ( I use this https://www.frost.co...-cure-5427.html) before brush painting the bear metal and into the seams with (http://www.rust.co.u...-mastic/p404984)

You'll see straight away if any welding is needed, pay special attention to the bulkhead where the brake fluid top up was.

It can then just stay as it is before going to get sprayed, the painters can then flatten everything including the mastic for you. At least then it won't be going rusty again. 

Edited by DeanP, 21 April 2018 - 02:32 PM.

#3 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:33 PM

looks like the last owner had the same problem as yourself and used hammerite.

if the engines out id do a propa job back to metal use a grinder and linishing pads ( sanding pads) prime it and get some rattle cans made up of the colour your going spray and buy a decent mask , one of lads did not a few years ago and lost half a lung not using a mask.......

#4 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:58 PM

​Thanks for the feedback.

​Yeah I'm not to worried about the final finish within the lower part of the engine bay due to being covered by the engine and other parts. 

​It needs painted though to give it protection before I put the subframe back in. 

Ill do the prep and then find a place I can get the rattle cans made up. At least then its all done then I can continue doing the rest of the car until it goes away for the full body respray.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

If its Hammerite it will need to come off completely. If not IT WILL react.

So once its stripped off, then repair as required, seam seal, etch prime, epoxy prime, flat back top coat.

Most  decent auto paint shops can pre mix you the topcoat of your choice in spray cans, in 1k, 2k, Acrylic. No forced breathing kit equals Acrylic. You will still need a decent mask but they will be able to recommend something for you suitable. You can get very good results with this but like anything else with paintwork its all down to prep.

#6 weeally

weeally

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:55 PM

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users