#1 RedneckRambler92

RedneckRambler92

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

Hi there,

I had a new clutch fitted to my mini 30 998cc and since then i have had problems.....constantly. So the last time it was on the road i would change gear as normal but would have to keep my foot on the clutch to drive because if i didnt it would stall (if that makes sense) so me and my dad have been working on it recently and took the bell housing off and noticed that the bolt holding the clutch on was like 5mm of being tight so we torqued it up and i have put it all back together and i tried giving it a drive yesterday but it has now got all forward gears but no reverse????? is this a simple clutch adjustment or is it a bigger problem? HELP!!!!!! O_O

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Should have gone back to who ever attempted the clutch

Was the engine stalling ?  or was it just not driving ?

With the flywheel bolt undone you may have had to ride the clutch to make it go anywhere.

It will not have been good for the flywheel and crankshaft, and possibly the primary gear too.

How tight did you get the bolt and did you lock tab it ?

I can't understand why you have no reverse...is it crunching as you try for reverse?

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:46 AM

I am thinking that the need to press the pedal may have been to stop the flywheel spinning on the crank?  is the keyed washer FUBAR?

I would be pulling the flywheel and seeing what is salvageable.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,803 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

"the bolt holding the clutch on" ............or do you really mean the flywheel?

#5 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

jeez,  they obviosly didnt do that up tight!

flywheel bolt need to be WELL tight, 150ft lb, or even a bit more on performance stuff.

chances are you need to adjust the clutch, probably the clutch uisnt disengauging properly and  syncro's are doing all the work on the forward gears, but rreverse with no syncro will really complain at going in. as this is a 30 it shoulf have a verto clutch, so the inly adjustment should be the big nuts on the end of the flywheel cover,

#6 RedneckRambler92

RedneckRambler92

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

Hi All, thanks for the support,  

It is a verto clutch and it was me and my dad with about 6 other blokes and you know how small a mini engine bay is with all them hands lol, so we have tightened it and i have done the lock tab, and yes it is crunching when you try and get reverse, but literally you can't get the gear lever in....and retroman yes it was stalling.

#7 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 24 April 2018 - 01:23 PM

Ok

It would be stalling (hence the question) as riding the clutch to make it drive would be loading the crank and the trust washers, which is not good.

As the flywheel was loose it would be using the crank tail as the 'drive' clutch and friction surface which is not good.

Not sure what has happened to the key washer under the crank bolt either , guess its been mangled in the process, along with the crank tail and flywheel taper.

So all the abuse on the crank tail may mean the clutch is not clearing 100% but the syncro on the 4 forward gears can cope and reverse being non syncro can't. It needs the teeth on both the 1 / 2 syncro gear hub and the laygear to be stopped to enguage without crashing.

Try putting the car in reverse gear without the engine running, put the clutch to the floor and turn the key...

With the handbrake on you will know if the clutch is dragging as the car will try to move....BE CAREFUL as it might start and set off backwards with the clutch floored....

Either way I would be taking the flywheel off and checking the whole issue as it may well work its way loose again....

Its either that or drive round F1 style with no reverse...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users