Photo

No Drive While In Gear

Best Answer brivinci , 24 April 2018 - 04:45 PM

Got under the car last night and found my issue. I removed the inner cv, cleaned and regressed as well as replaced the gaitor bands. The cv was in perfect shape but the driveshaft was barely seated on the splines. When I tried to reinstall the driveshaft to test, it would not go. Removed that and noticed that the splines on the tip, thin part past the c-clip, were twisted. I must have been driving on just the very end of the driveshafts splines!! I wonder for how long?

No way the driveshaft will ever go in with the splines completely misaligned! Parts ordered today so hopefully everything will be back together by the end of the week. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:10 PM

If its not one thing, its another, right? Went to take it to work today, pulled out of the drive, the car seemed to have hiccuped and then no drive. Like the car bucked itself out of gear. That’s never happened so I pulled it out of 1st and back in and nothing. No drive in any gear. I was 25ft from my driveway so I pushed it back in to the garage. Lifted it up and had a quick look around. Both driveshafts were in place and turned with wheels with tension placed on them from me. No holes in trans or massive leaks. Car runs and idles fine. Off the ground, the wheels turn while in all gears. Speedo registers speed. I don’t hear any grinding, clunking, crazy noises while car is running in gear. 

That’s about as far as I got before I had to go to work. This seems like a bit of a big problem. Obviously engine out BUT I wanted to see what you guys thought before I tore into it.

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,937 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 April 2018 - 02:42 PM

check drive shafts. having jacked it up after pushing it home they may have popped back in. I am thinking inner CVs. then there is the put it in gear and jack it up and rotate one wheel the other should rotate the other way.

#3 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

I jacked the car up so I could get under it. I was leaving for work so trying not to get dirty BUT I was able to rotate the wheel with my hand while holding the inner CV, shaft, and outer to see if they were not engages. They all seemed like they were. I but pressure on them while turning and there was no slipping. After I put the car in all gear while running, and saw the wheels turn...though only was looking at drives side so I need to confirm...I but the car back down and still no drive. 

After typing this, maybe the cars driveshafts are not connected while the car is on the ground but reconnect while they are hanging in the air?? More inspecting is needed.

Lets say it is a dislodged driveshaft from either the inner or outer CV, what would cause that to happen randomly? All the CVs are newish genuine item with new C-clips. The car is lowered but not to any extreme. I have the limiting droop stops so I do not over extend my shocks...but also limits the total travel when off the ground. Seems strange.

#4 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:45 PM   Best Answer

Got under the car last night and found my issue. I removed the inner cv, cleaned and regressed as well as replaced the gaitor bands. The cv was in perfect shape but the driveshaft was barely seated on the splines. When I tried to reinstall the driveshaft to test, it would not go. Removed that and noticed that the splines on the tip, thin part past the c-clip, were twisted. I must have been driving on just the very end of the driveshafts splines!! I wonder for how long?

No way the driveshaft will ever go in with the splines completely misaligned! Parts ordered today so hopefully everything will be back together by the end of the week.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users