3 replies to this topic

#1 Dizz

Dizz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:13 PM

I have to change the clutch slave cylinder on my Japanese import '95 SPi with air con and I am finding it impossible to get at it whatsoever. I have the ECU out of the way but the banjo bolt for the hose to the rear of the slave cylinder isn't even visible let along accessible with a socket/spanner. Is there a way of getting it out with the line?

Then the two bolts on the slave cylinder itself are up against bodywork and can't get a ratchet in (more so the rear one). Am I missing something? Have done a lot of searching and can't find anything.

2n1tjso.jpg

Edited by Dizz, 25 April 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

I can appreciate it is even tighter than normal with the aircon, when I did mine, with out aircon I took the breather canister of and removed the front bolt and bracket from the engine steady. Then with a socket, universal joint and an extension far and ratchet was able to get to the bolts holding the slave cylinder to the mounting bracket, when it was free there was enough space to get a spanner on the flexi hose to undo it and remove the slave cylinder. It’s fiddly but possible certainly without aircon.

#3 Haygate

Haygate

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:52 AM

I did it yesterday, without air con, its a bit of a pain and not the 5 min job I thought it would be.
Things were easier years ago with no master cylinder, let alone air con too.

Edited by Haygate, 26 April 2018 - 06:52 AM.

#4 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

Hello

haha these J spec minis with AC's are a lot of fun for the hands.  I have the version with the AC at the front and the ECU on the side and I managed to do mine, lots of different spanner sizes and for some things working from underneath is important too,

You can unbolt the AC cooling unit without taking any hoses off, so that you can move it about a bit.  Sometimes I don't know how my local mini guy gets jobs done so quickly but I guess years of practice helps

don't give up - all the best to you.

FDIuL1U.jpg

Edited by ryomini, 26 April 2018 - 01:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users