#1 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

Hello everyone I have a dilemma and looking for views and comments

After many years of ownership I am attempting to sell my Mk2 998cc Mini Cooper, my problem is I have mislaid the original green logbook and the sale receipt I had when I purchased the car in 1974. This is very upsetting for me, as I know I have seen it in the last nine months and have shown it to potential buyers.

I know this may sound unlikely but I am now concerned one of the viewers may not have given the book back to me, but I am unable to see what use it would be to anyone else as I have a up to date V5.

My question is

If you were a potential purchaser, condition aside would proof of years of ownership have an influence on the desirability of the car

Also do you think acquiring a heritage certificate is beneficial, although I know this does not show the number of owners?

Sellers appear to be asking incredible sums for Mini Coopers, are they really worth 20,000+!

Having owned my Cooper so long I am obviously trying to achieve the best price possible for my pension pot!

#2 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:43 PM

History is always great, but missing the original log-book is no deal breaker.

Surely the V5 you have shows you've owned the car for a good number of years??

I assume you have a large folder of receipts, pictures and other stuff collected from your many years of ownership?

#3 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:16 PM

History is always great, but missing the original log-book is no deal breaker.

Surely the V5 you have shows you've owned the car for a good number of years??

I assume you have a large folder of receipts, pictures and other stuff collected from your many years of ownership?

Thank you for your cheering words. Yes I did keep a log of work done in the mid 70s and have some receipts, not sure when DVLA centralised records began but V5c shows previous recorded keepers as none

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:46 PM

After many years of ownership I am attempting to sell my Mk2 998cc Mini Cooper, my problem is I have mislaid the original green logbook and the sale receipt I had when I purchased the car in 1974. This is very upsetting for me, as I know I have seen it in the last nine months and have shown it to potential buyers.

I know this may sound unlikely but I am now concerned one of the viewers may not have given the book back to me, but I am unable to see what use it would be to anyone else as I have a up to date V5.

My question is

If you were a potential purchaser, condition aside would proof of years of ownership have an influence on the desirability of the car

Also do you think acquiring a heritage certificate is beneficial, although I know this does not show the number of owners?

Sellers appear to be asking incredible sums for Mini Coopers, are they really worth 20,000+!

Having owned my Cooper so long I am obviously trying to achieve the best price possible for my pension pot!

Original green log book is nice for a buyer to have but not essential, most have long gone and the cars still achieve a good price. Unfortunately even owners can no longer find out the ownership history of their car as the DVLA recently changed the rules under Data Protection which means they will no longer send you the history for a £5 fee.

A green Cooper log book can fetch a good price on ebay even when listed as memorabilia but should a buyer use it to apply for a V5C then the current named owner should be sent a letter by the DVLA to confirm ownership, if no reply in approx. 2 weeks then they issue a new V5C, so make sure your address is up to date on your V5 and keep an eye on any post!

Yes Mk2 Mini Coopers do go for £20,000+ in reasonable condition so should boost your pension pot....but not quite as much as the Mk1 even though the Mk2 production run was much shorter.

Edited by mab01uk, 25 April 2018 - 05:52 PM.

#5 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:01 PM

I would’ve thought a V5C that effectively now shows it as a ‘one owner from new’ car probably increases the value more than an old green log book

#6 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:46 PM

My question is

A green Cooper log book can fetch a good price on ebay even when listed as memorabilia but should a buyer use it to apply for a V5C then the current named owner should be sent a letter by the DVLA to confirm ownership, if no reply in approx. 2 weeks then they issue a new V5C, so make sure your address is up to date on your V5 and keep an eye on any post!

The caveat to that is that they'd only become the (false) registered keeper of the vehicle.

If push comes to shove i don't think the OP would have much trouble proving they are the actual owner of the car and the V5 change was fraudulent.

#7 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 10:57 AM

My question is

Original green log book is nice for a buyer to have but not essential, most have long gone and the cars still achieve a good price. Unfortunately even owners can no longer find out the ownership history of their car as the DVLA recently changed the rules under Data Protection which means they will no longer send you the history for a £5 fee.

Yes Mk2 Mini Coopers do go for £20,000+ in reasonable condition so should boost your pension pot....but not quite as much as the Mk1 even though the Mk2 production run was much shorter.

It is worrying that someone may have come to view my car with the intention of stealing the logbook. I am of the generation who took people on trust and not ask to empty their pockets before leaving. They say there is no fool like an old fool.

#8 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

My question is

It is worrying that someone may have come to view my car with the intention of stealing the logbook. I am of the generation who took people on trust and not ask to empty their pockets before leaving. They say there is no fool like an old fool.

The same generation that gave us the likes of the great train robbery???

People were no more honest back in the 'good old days', you should always take care around people you don't know.

#9 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:00 PM

My question is

The same generation that gave us the likes of the great train robbery???

People were no more honest back in the 'good old days', you should always take care around people you don't know.

Yes you are right course in fact the people who have been to see the car are almost my generation, perhaps one was a great robber?

#10 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 06:32 AM

Chances are it hasnt been stolen and will turn up somewhere bizarre when you least expect it (like in the freezer  :shy: )

#11 1968cooper

1968cooper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:35 PM

Chances are it hasnt been stolen and will turn up somewhere bizarre when you least expect it (like in the freezer  :shy: )

thank you I do hope you are right

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users