Photo

1972 Rhd Daily Driven 5Pw Promotive Build In The Usa.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Awesome build. Must be excited to be so close to finishing! 

The Hoosier tyres you have fitted, do you know if they the "19.5 x 5-10 T.D.R" ones, item number 44391? ....Are they street legal?

They look very nice indeed. 

#47 evolone38

evolone38

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 05:56 PM

Thanks duds100,
165 70 10 Hoosier TD are a great tire, I have driven for years on the street. I used to have the Yoke 008 and they are so greasy compared to these. Hoosiers have much more grip, not a long wearing tire but, replacing grip is easier then wrecking and wrenching.

Street legal.... lol I daily them, but I don't drive in the rain either.

Attached Files

Edited by evolone38, 21 June 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#48 evolone38

evolone38

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

Build update.. debugging.

So I have been held back a bit by certain issues but making improvements steadily.
First it was the diff issue but that was conquered smoothly by Promotive..thanks guys!

Second was a driveshaft issue in which I had a chromoly driveaxle machined for one side that was 15mm longer than the stock longside. For some reason the diff is mounted a bit off to the shortside, which was causing engagement issues. Fixed that, then it was getting the cooling system figured out. Removed thermostat, dropped 10degrees..added heater core, dropped another 12degrees.. went through a couple of radiator caps until the Stant 42lb cap yielded better results and went with all water until my shipment of Engine Ice shows up tomorrow. So basically I am running around 225deg at about 6grand in mid 80 deg weather. If I keep it there, it does not creep up higher so I am going to gear it up a bit to keep the rpms down and the engine ice will allow for more rpms to go above. Should be good to go for daily status using the freeway system that makes up the USA. Idling around in traffic I can keep it about -200deg with the fan on and the heater core blowing, #racecarcooling
Last pic of water bending is how I feel about this heated issue. Lol though when I mash on the loud pedal, heat is a afterthought!

Attached Files

Edited by evolone38, 11 July 2018 - 02:40 AM.

#49 miller 666

miller 666

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

Watching this with interest, running a Promotive mini over in the UK as a weekend toy working through a few things on it. With current weather I’m struggling with the cooling and a bad resonance around 62-65mph. So loud at that speed, on song it’s fine. But at a constant revs it’s awful, think it’s just a mix of solid mounts and exhaust note.

For cooling I flushed my system, got rid of the heater matrix and run distilled water and water wetter with a rad intake shroud I made to draw air from the front only and to stop sucking hot air from the engine bay. Definitely better but with a revotec fan controller it’s almost always got the fan on. 60mph it sits around 102’c with the fan on. I want to get to the point with the fan not running so it’s actually an efficient setup with room either side. Going to fit a 13 row oil cooler on it soon to see if it helps. Just no room for any more water cooling assistant!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares