Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:47 PM

Hi all,

I'm coming to my wits end with this car at the moment. Discovered the rear N/S wheel bearing has got loads of play in it. Its a Timken bearing kit, fitted correctly and torqued to 60lbft however it has lateral play.

On removing the rear hub, the outer races are mated right up to the centre band. The bearings are greased up and there's no obvious wear to any of it.

Any thoughts?

#2 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

On further investigation, its as if the inner race housings are touching too early when tightening, so the race itself can't push up hard against the outer race. I believe these are genuine timken rear bearings, I bought them from A series spares.

Edited by Steve220, 26 April 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#3 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:01 PM

Remove one of the outer races and fit one of these shim washers, then refit the outer race and torque back up. if its only a little play you'll only need the one shim washer.

https://www.thebeari...id_product=7312

Edited by Sprocket, 26 April 2018 - 02:04 PM.

#4 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

Remove one of the outer races and fit one of these shim washers, then refit the outer race and torque back up. if its only a little play you'll only need the one shim washer.

Sprocket,

I'm not sure how this will alter things apart from make it worse. I believe the bearings aren't sat in their outer races properly as the inners are touching too soon.

#5 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

The shims will work they sit on the shoulder in the hub before the outer race goes in and allows the inner race to sit deeper into the outer race and take up any play, if that makes sense

#6 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 04:44 PM

Doubt they are a matched Timken set - you say you believe they are? If Timken they will have an identical engraved number on all four parts.

If that is the case then the hub is u/s.

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:02 PM

Sprocket,

I'm not sure how this will alter things apart from make it worse. I believe the bearings aren't sat in their outer races properly as the inners are touching too soon.

You're not understanding what the real problem is. These shims will fix it.................

Edited by Sprocket, 26 April 2018 - 05:03 PM.

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Doubt they are a matched Timken set - you say you believe they are? If Timken they will have an identical engraved number on all four parts.

If that is the case then the hub is u/s.

It doesn't really matter. Its becoming a more and more common problem and it could be for any number of reasons. Knowing how to fix it is the key. a few shims cost pennies, where a hub costs Pounds and to be honest, not really necessary

Edited by Sprocket, 26 April 2018 - 05:06 PM.

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:56 PM

Sorry chap, mis-read, you're suggesting to space the outer races apart to fit the inners. I follow you now

#10 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:26 PM

I've only come across this twice - worn rear hubs.

I'd suggest if this is the case - and it sounds like it - a new hub.

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:01 AM

I've only come across this twice - worn rear hubs.

I'd suggest if this is the case - and it sounds like it - a new hub.

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:10 AM

in what way does a hub wear? and if it did, would you expect that much wear in 36,000miles to prevent a new set of bearings to be pre loaded?

I only ask this as this is what I have experienced personally, and a 0.1mm shim fixed it. Fit a new hub and it'll likely be the same, so what would you do in that case? If the outer race just falls into the hub, then I would agree with you, replace the hub, but if it's still a nice press fit, there's nothing wrong with it.

The problem is not the hub, but rather the bearings. Same thing is happening with the front bearings, the bearing spacer is a fraction thicker than it should be.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:33 AM

in what way does a hub wear?

The Cup's pick up and spin. It doesn't take much at all to wear the hub when that happens and they can still be a tight fit in to the bores, but when both parts are looked at closely, it's clear what's happened.

I've never found a set of Timken Bearings that needed any kind of adjustment, though it's possible some sets over the years may have. There are other bearings out there, I've tried a few but found them rubbish and not worth trying on.

#14 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 08:48 AM

Ill give the washer a go and see how I get on. Disgusted at their P&P cost though...

#15 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 09:42 AM

in what way does a hub wear?

The Cup's pick up and spin. It doesn't take much at all to wear the hub when that happens and they can still be a tight fit in to the bores, but when both parts are looked at closely, it's clear what's happened.

I've never found a set of Timken Bearings that needed any kind of adjustment, though it's possible some sets over the years may have. There are other bearings out there, I've tried a few but found them rubbish and not worth trying on.

Since youve only come across this twice, youve not really seen these issues that are unfolding in modern times as its becomming more of a problem. Its not wear of the hub, that is unless the hub that was swapped in was also worn. What are the chances of that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users