18 replies to this topic

#16 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

And don't do too many welds one after the other, I think it's about 3 per minute, otherwise it get's too hot to touch and your bars / tips change colour and don't work as good ! don't know why, i had to buy new bars to get it working correctly again.

#17 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 21 August 2018 - 08:52 AM

I've got a really old basic manual one I've used for years, its a fantastic bit of kit.

Everything above is good advice.

Arms wise ... you can normally get away with just a set of 6" arms, remember you can rotate the arms away from the centre line of the machine (so they stick out the side).  Also you can normally grind off a good few MM's from the big thick bar ends that form the clamps to hold the spot rods on, this allow you to get closer to the work as well.

Finally, if you do need extra arms look at buying solid copper rod off eBay and making it yourself, lot cheaper than buying arms from a dedicated supplier.

A set of 6" arms will allow you to do the sill lip and the sill to floor between the vents, you will sill need to drill and spot or seam weld the last two back sections but thats no real problem.

As I said, I love it, gives professional factory spot welds and is super-fast, also great on other non car stuff, like making steel boxes, welding stainless.

#18 eean

eean

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:41 AM

How much of a hassle was it to get to get a 32A supply in your garage?

I already had an armoured cable and mains fuse box fitted in my garage when I built it so it was just a case of getting my electrician mate to wire it with the special plug and socket using a 16amp trip fuse, 32 is my mistake it doesn't need that big but definitely shouldn't use a normal plug socket, it states that from Clarke

#19 eean

eean

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 09:46 AM

Ok I've been using this a while now and just used it to spot the rear quarter section in to the sill lip, fantastic, totally speeds up the process, no grinding and pre punching holes, brilliant, I will try and upload pics but busy welding lol.
I got some longer arms that help getting into deeper spaces and used it to make a few boxes etc really chuffed with it
Repaired my mates stainless toolbox too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users