4 replies to this topic

#1 fiestaharry

fiestaharry

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

Doing a mk1 woody at the moment, its the first time i have done the inner and outer a panel combination.

So i am using a heritage inner a panel with scuttle closing panel and m machine outer a panel

Q17XoB0.jpg

I have just fitted a complete heritage inner wing, which has fitted fine

Dc3ZI2N.jpg

But, lining the inner a panel up where i think it goes, makes the scuttle closing panel look like this:

0vhA5iz.jpg

YicRJqO.jpg

Whereas when i use the m machine scuttle closing panel on its own, which i also have it fits nice

Just a bit confused as it does it with both sides of inner wing, even on the other side which is off the car.

Any help would be great

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:02 PM

I used same combination of panels, I did it slightly different,
First I fitted the outer a panel with the door so I had it all lined up correctly and I could spot weld the outer a panel to inner wing as per factory, then I fitted the inner a panel and bolted the hinges on to hold it tight against the outer panel, on one side it was fine but on the other I had to remove the closing panel from inner panel and rework it a little, then welded it back to the inner, hope that helps.

#3 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:15 AM

The scuttle closer is the least to worry about, as it can't easily be seen.

I would concentrate on the door gap / a panel / hinge fit / wing / scuttle

Do a dry build with all the panels, using clamps / mole grips, you may have to do it a few times before welding.

The doors need setting in place to know where the hinges go, to know where the A panel outer and inner has to sit, you also need the wings, scuttle, bonnet and front panel too as they all have gaps and joints to consider and tweek.

Its quite a long and complex job to get right

Don't expect any panels to be a perfect fit, heritage or otherwise, most of them need  'adjustment'  its 3D jigsaw

#4 fiestaharry

fiestaharry

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for the advise, Daz and retroman, just seems strange why the scuttle closing panel is welded on when it doesnt line up!

#5 eean

eean

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:20 AM

Good topic, just doing my mk2 now so great info, first time I've done inner and outer A panels too but bought both in heritage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users