Joining The Forum And Our New Project

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KeithBcornwall

KeithBcornwall
  • Noobies
  • 0 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 08:44 AM

WE have just purchased a 1963 mini for total restoration, after having not done one for over 30 years, this one is a bit special as it was originally an 850 purchased new by a lady and sold in 1980 to a chap in Manchester who turned it into a full 1275 cooper S (except the shell) it was then set up for rallying with modified engine, diff,, original, striaght box from BMC Abingdon modified suspension etc, then 23 years ago it was put in barn and thats where we bought it from, We intend to rebuilt it from the shell up to its original rally spec of 1980, at the moment the shell and panels are waiting to go from blasting. Its and easy restoration as it needs about 3 hours welding all original panels except the sills which appear to have been fitted prior to a roll cage in the 1980s, subframes are like new, brakes need sorting, but once the bodywork and its painted it should be a very relaxing rebuild, engine runs a treat. 

My background many years ago, I started work in a BMC garage in 1966 so got to know and love these little pocket rockets, everyone wanted a 1275 S but few could afford them. I was lucky 30 years ago to buy a 1340cc janspeed engined clubman rally car that my old bosses son built from scratch in 1968 from all brand new parts delivered direct to the garage from Abingdon, it nearly bankrupted the business but it was an awesome machine.

#2 TobyM2018

TobyM2018

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Sounds like a great mini you've got there. Hopefully you'll post a project with some pics?

Welcome to TMF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users