Photo
- - - - -

What Have You Obsessed Over With Your Car?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:47 AM

I am a living nightmare of faffing and obsessing. 

Maybe its the  old dyslexia, and OCD but i obsess and agonize over details, which is great for my patients but i cant leave this damn car alone.

Ive finally got it to where i want it for now after another 2 month flurry of blasting my wages on stuff i dont need and worrying about the oil, the water jets and the wipers - honestly there was absolutely nothing wrong with the latter -  i wanted to ask the wider community if they have ever had periods of obsession over something with the car, maybe something really daft which you now look at and think why oh why??  has the Mrs (or Mr) ever become a mini widow for a length of time?

Im sure i had a Dad, but all i ever saw was some overalled legs sticking out from under his mini - 

Whats your latest obsession? what are you faffing about with? might be a good topic of conversation 

#2 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:27 AM

I miss the days I used my 74 clubman as my everyday car, garaged at night washed at weekends, covered 60k miles in 7 years in snow, rain, fog and the odd sunny day. Serviced as per the recommend service intervals. The car was over 25 yrs old at this point. It needs the usual repairs now and has lain in the corner of the garage since 2006. I’ve 3 other minis which never see the light of day and sit waiting to be driven, the combined mileage on these cars is about 40k miles, one of them owned from new in 1989, will they bring as much fun and memories as my old clubman, probably not.

Our cars are for driving and yes they will get stone chips, supermarket trolley dents and rust from doing this but that’s what they are for. I’m guilty about obsessing over my low mileage cars, worrying about this and that and constantly replacing hydraulic seals and hoses due to lack of use.

Maybe with middle age comes maturity and common sense practical family cars and responsibilities, but sometimes I wish for the ignorance of youth and just to be out driving my mini!

#3 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

I am a living nightmare of faffing and obsessing. 

Maybe its the  old dyslexia, and OCD but i obsess and agonize over details, which is great for my patients but i cant leave this damn car alone.

Ive finally got it to where i want it for now after another 2 month flurry of blasting my wages on stuff i dont need and worrying about the oil, the water jets and the wipers - honestly there was absolutely nothing wrong with the latter -  i wanted to ask the wider community if they have ever had periods of obsession over something with the car, maybe something really daft which you now look at and think why oh why??  has the Mrs (or Mr) ever become a mini widow for a length of time?

Im sure i had a Dad, but all i ever saw was some overalled legs sticking out from under his mini - 

Whats your latest obsession? what are you faffing about with? might be a good topic of conversation 

youre not alone, i was holding out for a roof skin, found one in Italy and its on its way, im in the process of building up dry suspension, it will be protech or gaz shocks next, and then rose petal wheels, im on the look out for a period bucket seat at the minute, most parts bough5t second hand and reconditioned

#4 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:45 AM

Me too - I get sleepless nights over the most trivial of decisions...

Its all part of the fun and a distraction from "real" life and nothing at all wrong with that. Some men turn to drink/drugs gambling to forget their cares albeit briefly.

Its lovely to have a hobby/obsession that gives pleasure.

Its a fine line between that and fixing a car until you break or spoil it. There is so much you can do to a mini I admire the types that keep a car in "out of the factory" look.

Also tracing unusual noises and rattles  like the old VW Golf ad.... sooooo satisfying when you silence that piece of loose trim though ! 

My Mk3 Cooper S was almost factory when I bought it  but I couldn't help adding some we'll....  bling - i do stress the its period correct bling such as Dunlop D1 alloys....

I justify it on basis that nothing is irreversible and keep everything yo do that.

I was recently diagnosed with cancer and the mini has been my therapy to take my mind off things - at least for a while - I really don't know what I would do if i didn't have the" mini world of worry " to distract me while recovering from recent surgery.. 

But yes - the "which oil"  dilemma, do I fit or not fit spotlights, Monza petrol caps, Lucas reversing light yes/no..... but what a nice thing to fret about and at least our partners know where we are and what we are spending our money on........

I have been the same with motorbikes and other classic cars I have owned - so its not just a mini thing

All the best

Matt  - brighton

#5 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:23 AM

Its all part of the fun and a distraction from "real" life and nothing at all wrong with that. Some men turn to drink/drugs gambling to forget their cares albeit briefly.

Its a fine line between that and fixing a car until you break or spoil it. There is so much you can do to a mini I admire the types that keep a car in "out of the factory" look.

Also tracing unusual noises and rattles  like the old VW Golf ad.... sooooo satisfying when you silence that piece of loose trim though ! 

My Mk3 Cooper S was almost factory when I bought it  but I couldn't help adding some we'll....  bling - i do stress the its period correct bling such as Dunlop D1 alloys....

I justify it on basis that nothing is irreversible and keep everything yo do that.

I was recently diagnosed with cancer and the mini has been my therapy to take my mind off things - at least for a while - I really don't know what I would do if i didn't have the" mini world of worry " to distract me while recovering from recent surgery.. 

But yes - the "which oil"  dilemma, do I fit or not fit spotlights, Monza petrol caps, Lucas reversing light yes/no..... but what a nice thing to fret about and at least our partners know where we are and what we are spending our money on........

I have been the same with motorbikes and other classic cars I have owned - so its not just a mini thing

All the best

Matt  - brighton

Pretty much bang on the money Matt, and glad to hear youre on the mend Buddy

Edited by miniireland, 03 May 2018 - 07:23 AM.

#6 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

All the best

Matt  - brighton

Well sorry to hear your news Matt - be positive and keep getting better everyday - also its great to know im not the only one with mini distraction syndrome. 

#7 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:34 AM

to add to what you said theres an old fella called pete the feet (no idea why) up by us whos got an old ford anglia in bright yellow - he once said about rattles and noises "if its makin a noise thats a good thing, i know its still attached to the motor" 

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,893 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Mine is trying to make the car perfect - getting parts that's should fit to actually fit, making it look OEM+ (difficult with a turbo engine), worrying over paintwork and fabrication.

My biggest worry is my exhaust. I've got the front section and the rear section, but no mid section that has the option for a removable catalytic converter! I'll have to ferry the car somewhere and I'm very picky about who I choose due to results! I want a TIG welded section that looks amazing!

#9 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for responses to my thoughts... and it is reassuring to know we are all on a spectrum of sorts when it comes to our cars

Im currently debating moving from twin box to single for that more sporty rorty A series sound - but do I stay side exit ? or go centre exit ?... decisions decisions ....

But yes - a pleasant and welcome distraction from my current health scare - it only took 4 weeks for a small rice grain size lump under my tongue to grow to the size of another tounge !! - scary to look at ... - it was cut out last week and hoping its been caught before spreading.

Down side is that I have missed taking part in the bailey Sprint at Goodwood - fortunately Brighton and Hove Motor Club were very understanding and have moved my entry to the Eagle Sprint at Goodwood in August - so something to look forward to.

Thanks for reply 

Matt

Edited by Matt Brighton, 03 May 2018 - 11:05 AM.

#10 cooperdan

cooperdan

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

oh yeh 100% all time

but then my mrs said I had to save for mortgage ha 

#11 RichMPiBlue

RichMPiBlue

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

Too much!  :lol:

#12 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

I find I spend too long renovating old parts when I could buy new ones quite cheaply. I have an issue with the disposable society we find ourselves in so spend way too much time de rusting, cleaning, sanding and painting old parts like brackets, brake drums, rocker cover, etc etc etc...

If I didn't bother, the mini might be back on the road by now!!

Edited by jonlad, 03 May 2018 - 07:58 PM.

#13 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 03 May 2018 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for responses to my thoughts... and it is reassuring to know we are all on a spectrum of sorts when it comes to our cars

Im currently debating moving from twin box to single for that more sporty rorty A series sound - but do I stay side exit ? or go centre exit ?... decisions decisions ....

But yes - a pleasant and welcome distraction from my current health scare - it only took 4 weeks for a small rice grain size lump under my tongue to grow to the size of another tounge !! - scary to look at ... - it was cut out last week and hoping its been caught before spreading.

Down side is that I have missed taking part in the bailey Sprint at Goodwood - fortunately Brighton and Hove Motor Club were very understanding and have moved my entry to the Eagle Sprint at Goodwood in August - so something to look forward to.

Thanks for reply 

Matt

Hope you get the all clear soon fella!

Stay safe 😁

Anyway, rattles, piss poor parts, scratches etc really boil my blood 🤔

#14 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 12:34 PM

I do find it funny that some of us are so precious and cautious over cars that probably once upon a time no one cared about. Imagine taking so much time and care to perfect a modern Nissan micra or something...

My mindset has changed since owning my mini, when I got it I wanted to create a totally original car that looked like it had been kept in a museum. Now Ive got it running and driving I just want to keep it going. The paints awful. The headlining is stained and the wheels are hideous... still fun to drive and all those cosmetic bits dont bother me anymore. As long as it drives and can pass and mot Ill be happy.
My fear is having it off the road in bits for years, reading through some of your build threads where cars are taking ages to get road worthy I know Id get bored after 1 winter and sell it

#15 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

Funny thing is... I fuss over my daughters Micra K11 too !

I even searched for and got the correct nissan factory plastic hub caps rather then the halfords £10 ones ...

Its a nice hobby/obsession we have for classic cars/motorbikes etc... 

Really Good to see youngsters - including women  with the  same enthusiasm for the modern Jap  stuff at "In Carnation " here in Brighton a few weeks ago... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users