341 replies to this topic

#226 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

At least the space is there, i looked at a lot of the log kits for garages for my house before we decided we arnt staying now. Id recomend them for classics as the wood helps absorb the moisture in the air

#227 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

as storm dennis decided to mess up my plans to paint the engine bay,  there was just to much wind forcing its way through the tent. 

I made a start on sound proofing the main floor 

SwQ3a3I.jpg

5eoG3g4.jpg

qPydS9p.jpg

I unfortunately ran out at this point so while I still had a couple of hours left I masked it up so it doesn't get over spray on it etc 

and decided to strip down the gear selector 

ZR678Wv.jpg

kkjkVOa.jpg

CSQKNss.jpg

nPwkeiI.jpg

vL1w50S.jpg

that's it for now guys

#228 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:10 PM

I'm glad you ran out, that's a little OTT for the floor ?

#229 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:18 AM

I'm glad you ran out, that's a little OTT for the floor ?

I’m gonna have to disagree with you there I reckon haha
I still have the closed cell foam to go on as well ?

#230 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 10:27 AM

Here's a thought, instead of using that DYNAMAT stuff, could we use thick layers of gravitex on both sides of the floor ?

DYNAMAT isn't sound proofing, it is sound deadening, as in it stops panels from vibrating, resonating. Wouldn't a thick coat of gravitex or rapture do the same thing ???

Edited by pete l, 17 February 2020 - 10:27 AM.

#231 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

Here's a thought, instead of using that DYNAMAT stuff, could we use thick layers of gravitex on both sides of the floor ?

DYNAMAT isn't sound proofing, it is sound deadening, as in it stops panels from vibrating, resonating. Wouldn't a thick coat of gravitex or rapture do the same thing ???

That’s why I will be putting closed cell foam sheets on over the top. I would assume that silent Coat Has done their research before offering these products. Each to their own I guess. I’m going to the extreme because I am planning on using the mini for good decent drives so if I can help drown out the road noise I will try.
Worth a shot right?

#232 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 01:39 PM

Worth a shot ? well yes.

I would put MLV over it before the carpet goes in. I have used closed cell before on a rover 25, behind the dash, and didn't notice any difference.

MLV (mass loaded vinyl) is whats used by car manufacturers, it is heavy though.

#233 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:55 PM

That’s why I will be putting closed cell foam sheets on over the top. I would assume that silent Coat Has done their research before offering these products. Each to their own I guess. I’m going to the extreme because I am planning on using the mini for good decent drives so if I can help drown out the road noise I will try.
Worth a shot right?

It is, but won't work. All silent coat does is change the harmonics of the panel. You can do that with one sheet. Closed cell foam is good, but needs to be 12mm thick on the floor to work nicely. Mass loaded vinyl is where the main drone frequencies will be absorbed. You only have to look at modern German cars to see how they've done it to realise the benefits.

#234 lofc2909

lofc2909

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

Only recently back in the mini fold so just caught this thread today. Some cracking work done there fella - my '89 thirty is going to involve me dragging the welder in its direction fairly soon (although I've squeaked an Mot till next Feb). Love the tent setup - top work. 

What's the R-Tech welding gear like? I started off with a Clarke welder but was constantly chasing holes everywhere and squeezing copper bars everywhere as heat sink but got disillusioned with it. Dug deep into my resto funds and bought a GYS Synergic Mig and haven't looked back since and stitching metal for fun now on a couple of jags and a cortina all demanding my attention! The difference a decent priced machine made was huge for a relatively unskilled hand like mine. 

#235 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:10 PM

Only recently back in the mini fold so just caught this thread today. Some cracking work done there fella - my '89 thirty is going to involve me dragging the welder in its direction fairly soon (although I've squeaked an Mot till next Feb). Love the tent setup - top work.

What's the R-Tech welding gear like? I started off with a Clarke welder but was constantly chasing holes everywhere and squeezing copper bars everywhere as heat sink but got disillusioned with it. Dug deep into my resto funds and bought a GYS Synergic Mig and haven't looked back since and stitching metal for fun now on a couple of jags and a cortina all demanding my attention! The difference a decent priced machine made was huge for a relatively unskilled hand like mine.

Thanks bud!

Yours needing alot doing or just odd bit? The tent has actually held up really well haha pretty pleased with it to be honest!

I had a Clarke mig before the r-tech machine and like you say the difference is night and day I found my welding improved instantly. crazy how much better your welding can be when you have a decent welder.

#236 lofc2909

lofc2909

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:09 PM

Bottom of front wings around the headlights look past their best, bit of bubbling around 1 rear arch is what I’ve found so far. Add to that a dropping drivers door and the hinge area feeling crumbly, I reckon there’s some hideous stuff to find. Otherwise floors, sills, subframes look solid although it’s had a ropey respray somewhere in the dim and distant.

Broke every rule buying this one - bought totally blind as it didn’t sell at the recent ACA auction and a bit of haggling saw it being delivered here on a low loader with 8 weeks mot, a flat battery (shagged alternator) and a few electrical gremlins that had me chasing faults down last weekend. Now MOT’d till feb 2021, plan is to drive it till then and hope I’ve finished one of my 4 other projects and make a start on this one. The Mrs is still barely talking to me but having a mini just about makes it worth it. Hopefully she’ll let me back in the house soon.

Edited by lofc2909, 19 February 2020 - 08:26 PM.

#237 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 11:46 AM

Not to much going on with the mini at the moment but did manage to get a few hours in yesterday 

more sound deadening - touchy subject i know, but il carry on as planned.

MZk2UU3.jpg

I also made a start stripping done some seriously grubby parts ( even after a good jet wash )

J4KMxC9.jpg

I8JVwe8.jpg

nN1KTHd.jpg

MxoORii.jpg

JLFqHBc.jpg

K1Jodpl.jpg

#238 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:31 PM

I did quite a lot of sound deadening / absorption the same way and it definitely made a big difference.   Under bonnet, bit on the back seat floor and inside the doors made the most difference.  Tapping on the panels feels like tapping a solid chunk of steel!!  

topped it off with variable thicknesses of closed cell foam with heat resistant stuff in the engine bay.  

end result wasn’t as good as I was expecting but is WAY better.  We’ve a fairly aggressive tail box the sound proofing has to fight against.   Left the whole lot a bit too thick behind the pedals and it feels like the clutch hasn’t much travel anymore.  Makes the wee car feel a touch more upmarket.

whole lot was done as a wee easy winter project, enjoyed doing it, average results, glad I did it.

#239 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 06:27 AM

So with not actually living where the mini is kept i have struggled to get any work done on it really...But yesterday i had a call out a few doors down so i thought while i was there i would do a couple of hours. No crazy progress but its something at least

trial fitted the front grill 

X8oIovV.jpg

i made some little tabs to spread the pressure a little, they worked quite well to be honest 

raS2O3U.jpg

then i chucked some filler on some panels....

not sure if its the right way of doing it but its worked for me in the past

izQ6T0b.jpg

i also manged to get this bracket thingy prepped ready to go back on the car. It will be riveted instead of welded 

YSg6D7I.jpg

that is it for now chaps, hope everyone is staying safe!

#240 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:52 PM

got another few cheeky hours in while i could today, still waiting on a couple of items to arrive ( arches, bonnet hinges etc)

but my new driver side door hinges did arrive so i started by replacing the old ones - these had the two normal bolts removed and one m8 welded in the centre instead,which is not ideal.

tdtoUaD.jpg

K7UXDsU.jpg

and new ones fitted with stainless steel bolts and grease, dont forget the grease 

WbwXFuD.jpg

the other jobs i was on with today was door gaps, when i first offered it up it wouldn't even fit in the door opening which i could have panicked over, but i did the next best thing.  i grabbed a hammer and sorted it the man way, by twating it over and over till it was good enough. 

( will add some pictures of door gaps when i get chance as the video wont up load ) 

lMVwiCt.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users