#61 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 01 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

honestly....im considering changing the whole replacement panel, the fitment is shocking and will require a lot of hammering to get right lol

should I have just spent the extra money and gone with heritage.....

I used to have a Clarke mig which I thought was good, but the r tech is just awesome. I have made up 2 leads for it, one on a 13amp plug for anything up to 3-4mm then if im welding anything thinker I use a 32amp plug . will upload some pictures tomorrow and show you what I mean.

I tried welding that panel a few times and just end up buckling it up. M machine do a lower quarter panel that I'm yet to try. I had a Clarke pro 90 was always inconsistent. I have a Sealey Supermig 130 at the moment but find it inconsistent also. Think It's down to no Eurotorch and the sleeve not liking to be bent.

Don't let that quarter repair get you down a skim of filler might sort it.

#62 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:48 PM

honestly....im considering changing the whole replacement panel, the fitment is shocking and will require a lot of hammering to get right lol

should I have just spent the extra money and gone with heritage.....

I used to have a Clarke mig which I thought was good, but the r tech is just awesome. I have made up 2 leads for it, one on a 13amp plug for anything up to 3-4mm then if im welding anything thinker I use a 32amp plug . will upload some pictures tomorrow and show you what I mean.

I tried welding that panel a few times and just end up buckling it up. M machine do a lower quarter panel that I'm yet to try. I had a Clarke pro 90 was always inconsistent. I have a Sealey Supermig 130 at the moment but find it inconsistent also. Think It's down to no Eurotorch and the sleeve not liking to be bent.

Don't let that quarter repair get you down a skim of filler might sort it.

now that you mention it my Clarke mig didn't like the torch lead being anything other than straight lol

#63 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 06:07 PM

a few more things done this weekend.

if anyone is curious about the third middle hole where the door bracket goes the previous owner has welded a third bolt to the hinge.... can't really see the need, but seems to much effort to put right to be honest

have been priming and top coating the outer sills for added protection, I will be cavity waxing these areas once weldedAttached File  fullsizeoutput_59d.jpeg   38.3K   3 downloads

repairs to lower inner wing. really surprised how rust free the top parts are on this car considering the rest lol

Attached File  fullsizeoutput_59e.jpeg   42.09K   3 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0633.JPG   45.97K   2 downloadsAttached File  fullsizeoutput_59f.jpeg   28.01K   3 downloadsAttached File  fullsizeoutput_5a0.jpeg   39.84K   0 downloads

when fitting my apanels, to get the gaps right ish. (still will need some filler rod work I think) I refitted the full built up door and clamped to front wing. good trick is to put a ruler or some sort of straight edge along the inside of the apanel and wing this makes sure they are lined up correctly 

Attached File  IMG_0636.JPG   52.35K   0 downloadsAttached File  fullsizeoutput_5a8.jpeg   38.89K   1 downloadsAttached File  fullsizeoutput_5a9.jpeg   37.05K   1 downloadsAttached File  fullsizeoutput_5aa.jpeg   37.95K   0 downloadsAttached File  fullsizeoutput_5ab.jpeg   31.2K   0 downloads

Edited by Harryrothers93, 17 March 2019 - 06:37 PM.

#64 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:23 PM

I am bit further on with the project, and I have started to think about paint colour.... I'm still thinking green but unsure on which green lol. when I was at the NEC this year I saw a few different cars with paint I liked. 

any help with my decision would be hugely appreciated 

example below

Attached Files

#65 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

I've been looking for a good green for mine for about 3years... I feel your pain! ?
I found that emerald fire (jaguar) is a lovely green and the name is awesome! It's rather similar to the above colour.

Ben

#66 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:11 PM

its such a hard decision ! 

just looked at that colour, and does look rather what I wanted...definitely add it to my list aha!

thanks for the reply

#67 hennasxi

hennasxi

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:28 PM

Quite a rare car you have there, only 528 final edition RHD Cooper Classics made with the colour coded dash and arches.   I'd stick with HFF BRG3 to preserve its originality, especially as you've gone to such lengths to put heritage panels on etc.  It doesn't always stand out though amongst other colours so understand why you might want to change it, wasn't sure if you knew about its limited production numbers though if that may influence your decision.   Great to see another one being sorted properly.

Edited by hennasxi, 28 December 2018 - 10:29 PM.

#68 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:57 PM

Quite a rare car you have there, only 528 final edition RHD Cooper Classics made with the colour coded dash and arches.   I'd stick with HFF BRG3 to preserve its originality, especially as you've gone to such lengths to put heritage panels on etc.  It doesn't always stand out though amongst other colours so understand why you might want to change it, wasn't sure if you knew about its limited production numbers though if that may influence your decision.   Great to see another one being sorted properly.

honestly...I did not know that.

making me rethink my whole idea on styling as well now lol

appreciate the comment 

#69 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:15 PM

a few more pictures of progress...

me trying to rust proof as much as I can lol

Attached Files

#70 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:59 AM

progress :)

Attached Files

#71 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:06 AM

Looking excellent mate your soon be finished.

#72 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 08:02 PM

Looking excellent mate your soon be finished.

thanks bud!

I have April in mind, but will see how it goes. I have a lot todo yet lol

#73 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

looking to reuse the old dashboard...my problem is the metal front that's painted is knackered, can you buy a new one to stick on ? or any ideas of getting the wood surface ready for paint??

#74 1330RG

1330RG

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

How have i missed this thread? Just read it through and caught up. Great work on the shell dude, i need to replace my floor on my 79 saloon, will certianly be using your pics for reference. Looking forward to seeing yours progress.

#75 Harryrothers93

Harryrothers93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

How have i missed this thread? Just read it through and caught up. Great work on the shell dude, i need to replace my floor on my 79 saloon, will certianly be using your pics for reference. Looking forward to seeing yours progress.

not sure dude....next time don't be so careless lol

thanks appreciate that ! glad to help mate 

(just so you know, my xmember is about a cm to a cm and a half to far forward. Reason being my the seats that I am fitting need all the room I can give them to stop fowling on the rear bins)

Edited by Harryrothers93, 15 January 2019 - 06:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users