Photo

Mini Mpi Starting Problems

Best Answer se7enmvu , 21 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

Well it's started, fired up first turn of the key 😀 I'm so happy.

A mobile mechanic came out and tried his code reader in it but it wouldn't power up so he couldn't help.

But that prompted me to look at why the socket had no power. I'd left the srs box unplugged as I was worried about triggering the air bags but it turns out that I needn't have.

I plugged the srs box in and it fired straight up. The srs light is staying on so I'm assuming that the srs box will need resetting.

So I can book in for the wheel alignment and mot now and put some miles on it.

It was idling a little high but that should be easy to solve and I noticed the oring is missing from the throttle body does anyone know what size to get? Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:43 PM

My 98 mini engine hasn't ran since 2011 and today I was in a position to try and it didn't.

The only work on the motor has been a degrease, paint and service.

The pump primes, I have a spark and the imobilzer is switching off.

I disconnected the green fuel line and some air and fuel came out at pressure so as fuel is getting that far I'm thinking it must be the injectors?

Or is there anything else I'm missing?

Cheers
Mark

#2 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:00 AM

Take the injector rail out and see if the injectors are firing

#3 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:09 AM

What should I expect?

They going to be squirting fuel?

#4 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

Yes

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

I had the exact same problem. If your injectors are gummed up:

Remove injectors. Get a 10ML syringe. Fill with fuel. Push syringe into the injectors inlet and squeeze hard. Get a 2nd person to pulse the injectors with some wire hooked up to a car battery.

Should clear them out.

#6 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:56 PM

Right I've unplugged the fuel rail from the manifold and on turning over nothing came out of the injectors.

So I removed 1 injector from the rail and pressure was released. I swapped them both with some spares I had on a spare engine and still nothing.

Only this time when I remove the injectors from the rail there is no pressure release even though the pump is still priming.

I have the fuse removed from the srs system as my srs module need resetting. Could that be causing my problem?

Seems pointless ordering injectors until I'm consistently getting fuel at the rail.

Cheers
Mark

#7 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

Are you still getting fuel pressure at the fuel pipes with the quick release connectors?

If so, the only thing between them and the injectors is the fuel pressure regulator.

#8 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

Hi wiggy yes there's still pressure at the green quick release so would the regulator not let fuel though to the injectors?

#9 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

Thinking about it, the regulator would be after the injectors. Sorry, had a brain fart.

You haven't put the pipes on the wrong way round have you? Red is feed, on the right. Green is return, on the left.

#10 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Your ecu May not be sending a signal to the injectors or they are not getting power, do you have a multi meter or anyone local with the correct diagnostics

#11 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Hi I've connected the coloured hoses to the matching coloured lines so the engine end should be correct what should I have at the tank end?

The tank was dry prior to fitted so I've put in another gallon and I have fuel at the rail again.

I also think I've tested the injectors. With the ignition on I'm getting 12.5v when testing each with a multimeter.

So I'm thinking the injectors are blocked I'll get a syringe tomorrow and see about flushing them. Or is it worth biting the bullet and just ordering new?

#12 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:59 AM

It's not worth ordering new until you've at least tried to unblock them. Injectors are extremely basic. There's not a great deal that can go wrong with them.

Plus, I'm tight as a a duck's bum, so I baulk at the idea of spending ~£100 unnecessarily. :P

#13 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

I've just checked the injectors using the method wiggy described and both are spraying fuel.
I'm measuring 12.5v at the loom connectors so I'm guessing that the ecu mustn't be sending the signal.
Anyone any ideas why that may be?

#14 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:40 AM

Are the plugs wet? Are the injectors 'firing' fuel? They should squirt at least 6 inches. Mine dribbled before being cleared properly.

#15 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:17 AM

I've just checked the injectors using the method wiggy described and both are spraying fuel.
I'm measuring 12.5v at the loom connectors so I'm guessing that the ecu mustn't be sending the signal.
Anyone any ideas why that may be?

Without diagnostics I would be checking the fuel cutoff switch ( on the bulkhead) and or the crank sensor

FS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users