Photo

Mini Mpi Starting Problems

Best Answer se7enmvu , 21 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

Well it's started, fired up first turn of the key 😀 I'm so happy.

A mobile mechanic came out and tried his code reader in it but it wouldn't power up so he couldn't help.

But that prompted me to look at why the socket had no power. I'd left the srs box unplugged as I was worried about triggering the air bags but it turns out that I needn't have.

I plugged the srs box in and it fired straight up. The srs light is staying on so I'm assuming that the srs box will need resetting.

So I can book in for the wheel alignment and mot now and put some miles on it.

It was idling a little high but that should be easy to solve and I noticed the oring is missing from the throttle body does anyone know what size to get? Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

MPi have some unique issues..... however you have to remember with all SPi and MPi cars they were designed to go to Rover dealers and be plugged into Testbook.
Cars with immobiliser (5AS) are matched to the ECU. Without diagnostics it is difficult to tell what is happening; crank sensor would be the normal port of call if the fuel is being cut, but could also be that the ECU and 5AS are not a pair.
It’s a pity you are so far away as I have the Sykes Pickavant system which can read the codes and match the 5AS and ECU if needed.
I used to work to visit Rainford too.

See if you can borrow some diagnostic kit - it makes life much easier and saves spending money on lots of random bits.

There is a pinned thread on here.

FS

#32 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:05 PM

Ah yes, of course, the immobiliser.

If you don't have matched 5AS unit to go with the new ECU -
there's services available.

Seems reasonably priced.

#33 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:11 PM

MPi have some unique issues..... however you have to remember with all SPi and MPi cars they were designed to go to Rover dealers and be plugged into Testbook.
Cars with immobiliser (5AS) are matched to the ECU. Without diagnostics it is difficult to tell what is happening; crank sensor would be the normal port of call if the fuel is being cut, but could also be that the ECU and 5AS are not a pair.
Its a pity you are so far away as I have the Sykes Pickavant system which can read the codes and match the 5AS and ECU if needed.

See if you can borrow some diagnostic kit - it makes life much easier and saves spending money on lots of random bits.

FS

Am I right in thinking that you MUST have iKeys to match an ECU to a 5AS, but you can program new fobs to a matched pair without iKeys?

#34 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think the alarm is fine I have the alarm box and fobs to go with the new ecu and everything seems to work. It arms and disarm on the button.

I'll have another look at the crank sensor and try and pick a new one up tomorrow.

But I'm thinking of giving up, putting it back together and trailering it up to minisport for them to look at. Unless anyone can recommend anywhere in the Merseyside/Warrington area?

#35 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:22 PM

Don't give up, mate. You must be so close. Take a couple of days off and come back with a fresh head.

#36 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

Well I've had a week off it and this weekend I went over every earth and added an extra from the block to the inner wing.

I also put a new battery in but nothing has changed.

Pump primes, I get a spark all lights work it cranks but it just won't fire. So I've made a few enquiries with auto sparks and hopefully I can get someone out in the week.

#37 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

Hi,

Cam sensor plugged in?

Cheers,

Gavin

#38 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:54 PM

Hi,
Cam sensor plugged in?
Cheers,
Gavin

Hi Gavin
Yeah cam sensor is plugged in. Maybe a duff cam sensor hopefully a code reader will show it up.
Cheers
Mark

#39 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

Its a pity you are so far away as I have the Sykes Pickavant system which can read the codes and match the 5AS and ECU if needed.
FS

Am I right in thinking that you MUST have iKeys to match an ECU to a 5AS, but you can program new fobs to a matched pair without iKeys?
Sorry missed your question...
IKeys to match ECU to 5AS yes. Rover V4 or later CD version on MAP to programme 5AS to keyfobs.
FS

#40 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 21 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

FS

The pscan.eu unit can program new fobs and match immobilisers to ECU's etc.

I have one now.

http://www.rovertech...5ec26eeb96d66b8

Edited by Ruckus, 21 May 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#41 se7enmvu

se7enmvu

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:31 PM   Best Answer

Well it's started, fired up first turn of the key 😀 I'm so happy.

A mobile mechanic came out and tried his code reader in it but it wouldn't power up so he couldn't help.

But that prompted me to look at why the socket had no power. I'd left the srs box unplugged as I was worried about triggering the air bags but it turns out that I needn't have.

I plugged the srs box in and it fired straight up. The srs light is staying on so I'm assuming that the srs box will need resetting.

So I can book in for the wheel alignment and mot now and put some miles on it.

It was idling a little high but that should be easy to solve and I noticed the oring is missing from the throttle body does anyone know what size to get?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users