#16 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

That's a good pressure, especially on the starter

It is, though it was spinning quite quickly, with no plugs or fan fitted. Also on a fresh battery, new pump, etc. Hoping it's all good, I was a bit anal about gasket orientation on the oil pump and head gasket, and replaced the pressure relief cup with a ball so all should be good...!? 

Still got a bit of work on the carb before I can try starting it.

#17 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

Personally I don't like the ball type relief valve, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd say that once you have plugs etc in you may have higher pressures

#18 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:25 PM

Sorry for digging up an old post - it might have been mentioned here before - but in order to swap the sensor/switch....Do i need to drain the oil? OR is this possible with the car being drivable? 

#19 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:50 PM

Sorry for digging up an old post - it might have been mentioned here before - but in order to swap the sensor/switch....Do i need to drain the oil? OR is this possible with the car being drivable?

No need to drain the oil :)

#20 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:03 PM

No need to drain the oil :)

SWEEEEEET :) first time theres something to do without having to do other stuff too :D

#21 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:03 PM

Just don't over-tighten it .. I've seen a picture of a block where it didn't go well!

#22 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

Just don't over-tighten it .. I've seen a picture of a block where it didn't go well!

Quite.

A dab of Loctite is all that's needed to seal it.

#23 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:18 AM

Quite.

I'm guessing to clean it off first? Does oil get into contact with the sensor at all? It sits fairly middle in the block hence the question about draining it first and cleaning the plug and thread inside.

#24 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:24 PM

It will drain down to the sump anyway. Just clean it with an absorbant cloth/towel as best you can and screw new one in. Nip it up with a spanner.

#25 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 September 2018 - 06:48 PM

Quite.

I'm guessing to clean it off first? Does oil get into contact with the sensor at all? It sits fairly middle in the block hence the question about draining it first and cleaning the plug and thread inside.

Yeah, best to clean the sender and the thread in the block, I use paint thinners for that and then avoid touching it following cleaning. It will still need to be done up firm, but not tight. That it is screwing in to an Oilway thread tape or anything like that should never be used.\, you don't want any of that ending up in there !!

Also, with the standard switch, that Earths via this thread for it's electrical operation, if thread tape is used, then it's not likely to be able to Earth. I have never had any success with thread tapes on Oil in any case.

The Oil Level when the engine is off, is well below this sender and it is pumped oil when it's there, so with the engine off, there's no oil that will pour out when the switch is removed, though I would strongly advise cleaning the area around it before removing the old one.

#26 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:20 PM

Yea good Tip on cleaning up around first: I once upon a time opened a spark plug to check the mixture.... And dropped some grime in there .... Woops!

Anyone done a t-piece connection for the sender and pressure gauge pipe? Should I get new washers or reuse the old?

#27 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 03:55 PM

Not sure mine had washers as the threads are tapered ... but it is a long time since I added the t-piece and almost as long since I last saw it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users