6 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron2310

Cameron2310

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

Hey, looking to buy one of the larger displacement mini's within the next few months but due to them being so old I know I'm going to run into some problems due to excessive wear when it comes to the engine, suspension and rust. Was looking up the costs of a few things like resurfacing a warped head when I found a video of someone sanding his heads flat (). This seems really sketchy but apparently is used to be the normal when it came to warped heads and a bit of elbow grease never hurt anyone, but the biggest problem I can see is that wouldn't having your sparkplugs 0.004" further down the cylinder change the ignition timing and mess with how the flame front works? At what point would it be better to just buy a new head? Would be nice to know that this method works so that buying a cheaper mini with a warped head issue wouldn't be off the table. Thanks.

Edited by Cameron2310, 06 May 2018 - 05:51 PM.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,839 posts
  • Name: Neil
  • Local Club: EDMC

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

If and its a big IF your head is warped (unlikely but possible) then take it to a reputable machine shop for a skim. That way you are guaranteed to get it flat and square.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: www.scottishmini.net

Posted 06 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

These heads can have 80 thou machined off them.

Your best to either buy a machined, reconditioned head, or get yours rebuilt if it needs it.

#4 Moke Spider

Moke Spider

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF Team
  • 7,587 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:48 PM

As sonikk4 has mentioned, the heads on these cars are not reknown for warping and while I haven't watched that particular video, I have seen some home butcher / bush mechanic attempts of 'grinding' them flat.

Without getting in to tin tacks here, this particular 'issue' really isn't an issue with the engines in these cars.

If you do find a head that is warped, have it machined professionally, it would be cheap as chips to have done (off hand, I think it's only around $30 - $50 in these parts) and be spot on.

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,069 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

alloy heads are easier to do that cast iron.

#6 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:20 PM

If I was buying an old Mini the last thing I would be worried about is a warped cylinder head.

Phil.

Edited by Turbo Phil, 06 May 2018 - 09:22 PM.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: www.scottishmini.net

Posted 06 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

If I was buying an old Mini the last thing I would be worried about is a warped cylinder head.

Phil.

+1 personally buy the most rust free car you can afford, mechanical is easier in my experience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares