Photo
- - - - -

What Spares/consumables Do You Keep In Stock?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:45 AM

Hey
I dont know if this has been covered a million times before but Im interested to know what essential mini parts you keep in your workshops/garages.
Im still relatively new to any sort of mechanical work but keep getting this endless frustration that whenever I place an order on minispares for the part I plan on fixing I almost always end up having to do another order a couple of days later for silly things like a couple of bolts or a washer....
For example Im currently replacing the seal on the driveshaft. Ordered the seal and gasket... took everything apart and Ive damaged a rubber dust cover on the ball joint and there was a bolt missing from the diff housing... so thats a £2 order with about £1000000 postage.

In conclusion. What do you all make sure you keep stocked up on to avoid these annoying set backs?

#2 pdaykin

pdaykin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

Generally it is just oil, filters, points and condensers. Touch wood, but I don't really suffer a lot of failures. The last things that went were float valve and alternator - not something I would buy on the off chance I would need them

if I see original parts NOS, such as ball joints, I do tend to buy them as some modern stuff can be iffy.

I do have lots of parts that I have never got around to fitting eg hilos. But these aren't really spares.

#3 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:08 PM

packet of those nuts and bolts about £20 you buy at mini shows. oil. filter. Inlet manifold gasket dizzy cap. rotor arm. coil. leads. ball joints. thermostat.rad cap.rocker gasket.fuses to name a few

#4 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:46 PM

packet of those nuts and bolts about £20 you buy at mini shows. oil. filter. Inlet manifold gasket dizzy cap. rotor arm. coil. leads. ball joints. thermostat.rad cap.rocker gasket.fuses to name a few

I definately need to get to some proper mini shows. Everything Ive been to had just had cars parked up, no trade stalls. Annoyingly I used to work for a company called Würth who supplied really good quality nuts and bolts etc. Could have had endless supply for next to nothing!

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

I had to chuckle when I read the thread title.

I think for me, a short list is what I don't keep.

I've tended to horde lots of 'stuff' as it can be hard to come by (though some only 'at times') and I think I have a mentality of it 'drying up' one day. There's also the long delivery lead times if it has to come from the UK or the US too.

#6 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

3 entire minis + a few extras... And Thats just the bare mini'mum... 🙄

Or maybe it's just me. 😂

#7 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

So from what Im gathering, if every minispares type company go out of business. You lot have hoarded all the spares Ill ever need.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

We have a shed full of 3 cars worth of spares, never too much! 3 spare 65D dizzies we forgot we had 😂

#9 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:12 PM

Not a lot, Somerford Minis is only 10min walk from the house so I dont feel the need to stockpile spares.

#10 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

Not a lot, Somerford Minis is only 10min walk from the house so I dont feel the need to stockpile spares.

Hmm 10 minutes walk from my house I have the option of...
West - Lincolnshire boarder
North - the sea
South - some odd villages
East - lots of flat fields aka Norfolk

They still think a classic mini is modern motoring here. Internal combustion is like witchcraft to some of these Norfolk yokals

#11 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

I just buy up anything nos bmc or BL that will fit my car. Especially rubber parts and bearings, but my stock of parts is beyond practical, I just don’t like parting with anything. However when doing a restoration it’s much better to have original parts at hand.
Think I have 3 sets of mk2 cooper badges some nos some used, it becomes an addiction. I don’t like using repro parts unless absolutely necessary.

#12 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:18 AM

Buy every spare you can afford. It's the best insurance against breakdowns, once you have them you'll never need them.
Tempted to buy myself some  extra pistons etc so I'll have an everlasting engine... ;-) 

I only take ( took) liquids, 4 spark plugs, coil,cap, a few basic tools, tape and zip ties with me on trips.
But then again, I'm not driving 1000 miles through the desert  :tumble:

#13 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Spare tyre and jack. A big bag of sweets and an RAC card.

Hey, we're not all mechanical gurus you know!

#14 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:30 PM

I was more thinking what do you keep in your garages rather than take out on the road with you.
I guess just assortments of UNF and UNC bolts. I seem to always need a but/bolt or washer whenever I do a job on my car

#15 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

I was more thinking what do you keep in your garages rather than take out on the road with you.
I guess just assortments of UNF and UNC bolts. I seem to always need a but/bolt or washer whenever I do a job on my car

If you're thinking of building up some sensible spares for yourself to keep at home, I'd suggest along the lines of;-

Filters (Air, Oil & Fuel)

Fan Belt

Spark Plugs

Ignition Leads

Dissy Cap & Rotor Button

Oil - but only if you are doing some miles, if you tend to only do few miles and change it once a year, then it may not be a good idea

Coolant (enough for a change)

Grease

Throttle Cable

Head Gasket set

Theromstat

Radiator Cap

Possibly a water pump

CV Boot (inboard and outboard)

Steering Rack Boot

Vrs nuts & bolts

One thing though to be minded in regards to keeping spares is any guarantee 'clock' starts from the day you buy these parts, so they could well be out of warranty before you use them.

Also, anything rubber, while there is a lot of carp out there, there's still good stuff to be had, just be sure to store it in a cool (not cold) and dark place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users