7 replies to this topic

#1 vyruskiller

vyruskiller

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

I know its warm today but my cars temp runs normally 3 quarters md today was nearly touching red

Its a 1275GT thats had a stage 1 kit before I purchased him so I believe its 1293? Does this sound normal in that it will run hotter?

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

Not really, however, before jumping to conclusions, can I suggest checking by another way, what the actual temp of the engine is. So many 'hot running' engines are only a bad reading gauge. It happened to me a very very long time ago and after spending around a year and doing everything including an engine re-build (not because of this) I 'discovered' to my annoyance that it was the sender in the head.

#3 vyruskiller

vyruskiller

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:50 PM

Right I will check that as I dont want to be spending weeks or months finding an answer to a problem I may not have

I far better a driver than a mechanic 😁

#4 gazza01

gazza01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:34 AM

Heater on full, hot legs time.

#5 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:17 AM

A "Stage 1 Kit" is normally an exhaust manifold/inlet manifold bolt on swap with no modifications to the head or engine block. e.g.

http://www.minispare...ts/C-STN18.aspx

If your engine has had a rebuild and new oversize pistons installed it may well be a 1293cc engine now.

I like my mechanical temp gauge as it gives a numerical value for the temp and has no issues with senders. I checked mine against some boiling water and a calibrated thermometer so I know it's accurate. 

Does your heater (if you have one) also blow very hot when the gauge reads high?

Is the top radiator hose getting hot and thermostat opening OK

#6 vyruskiller

vyruskiller

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

Gazza01 legs were burning!! 😁

Timmy850 I had the heater on as I know that helps with minis but I didnt notice the heat coming off it being that hot but I wasnt really paying attention to it in that I didnt put my hand over to test...think it was just blowing warm.
I have the receipt from Mini Sport on the work they did so I need to have a look to see if it was a rebuild -

Oh I have just looked and shows 1293 Stage 2 Short Engine built - not really sure what that means. As I say Im def more a driver than a mechanic...that bit is all new to me. Few other things to do with head gasket on it also. Work was done in 2014

#7 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

Is it full of water/coolant? That's the first thing I'd check.

Next up check to make sure the fan belt is tight.

Then check thermostat operation.

Lastly, it could be a bad waterpump, or a partially clogged radiator. Since both of those require removing the radiator, it's a good time to send it over to the local radiator shop and have it cleaned and checked. Or for about £45 you could buy a Chineseum aluminum rad and simply replace it. Over here in Kansas we get temps over 40*C and with one of these rads I never run more than the normal mark on the gauge, where I used to run way up the gauge on a hot day on the interstate with a stock rad.

#8 vyruskiller

vyruskiller

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:39 PM

I will have a look in to that Magneto as I have come across them rads when researching stuff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users