#1 thebluepotato

thebluepotato

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: Atlanta Classic Minis

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

Have an all new setup on my Mk4....hi-los with new standard rubber cones.  Using GAZ adjustable (lowered versions) and when I hit very small imperfections in the road, it is VERY harsh on the rear.  I have my GAZ's on the rear turned to the lowest/softest possible setting....front is just 3-5 clicks above lowest setting.

Are GAZ's shocks normally this harsh for normal road use?

Would anyone recommend Protech over the GAZ - and can you get the PT's on very soft setting?

Interested to hear more :shifty:

Attached Files

#2 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

yes protecth are good didn't like gaz took them off

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

shocks control the speed of the wheel. sounds like you have them adjusted to slow and they may be packing down the cones. also being that low does not help.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

Like Nick, I think you have them set too soft and the suspension is bottoming out all too easy / quickly, especially as it's already quite low now.

Try turning them up by about 1/3 to 1/2.

But (and your probably not going to like this!) if you do want a better ride, raise the car up - even just to try it, you can always lower it again.

#5 thebluepotato

thebluepotato

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

Like Nick, I think you have them set too soft and the suspension is bottoming out all too easy / quickly, especially as it's already quite low now.

But (and your probably not going to like this!) if you do want a better ride, raise the car up - even just to try it, you can always lower it again.

Interesting......but the rear design does not have a bumpstop, correct?   The suspension is not bottoming out (like from a rolling dip) - its the small things in the road (like 10mm thick reflector) that transmits LOUDLY on the rear.  Like these things pictured below - when I clip them with my 10" tires/wheels, its like BANG BANG BANG (when I run over a few).  Also with pavement patches (not potholes) are really loud on the rear.  Mind you, I only have a mild suspension upgrade...I am using GAZ lowered shocks and maybe my car sits a tad low, but not sure on how it would change by raising it to "soften" the ride over those small imperfections on the road.  Again, I do not think I am bottoming out....I think that would require me to hit a small dip in the road and when suspension compresses severely and would go BOOM (meaning bottom out)

9261286-large.jpg

Edited by thebluepotato, 07 May 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#6 thebluepotato

thebluepotato

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

shocks control the speed of the wheel. sounds like you have them adjusted to slow and they may be packing down the cones. also being that low does not help.

Nick - when you say speed of wheel, you mean the wheel compressing up or down (how fast or slow that happens), right?

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:38 AM

Interesting......but the rear design does not have a bumpstop, correct?   The suspension is not bottoming out (like from a rolling dip) - its the small things in the road (like 10mm thick reflector) that transmits LOUDLY on the rear.  Like these things pictured below - when I clip them with my 10" tires/wheels, its like BANG BANG BANG (when I run over a few).  Also with pavement patches (not potholes) are really loud on the rear.  Mind you, I only have a mild suspension upgrade...I am using GAZ lowered shocks and maybe my car sits a tad low, but not sure on how it would change by raising it to "soften" the ride over those small imperfections on the road.  Again, I do not think I am bottoming out....I think that would require me to hit a small dip in the road and when suspension compresses severely and would go BOOM (meaning bottom out)

9261286-large.jpg

I'm wondering now if the subframe mounts might need attention?

All the same and taking that in to account, I'd suggest after checking the subframe mounts, setting the shocks a bit stiffer. If they are 'too soft' then the shock can't control the suspension movement properly and it will over-shoot (this is part of what Nick was referring to).

The other thing is the shock(s) may have had it and are giving little to no damping at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users