rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:05 PM

1979 Mini Clubman 1098

Hi Experts!

Trying to get my newly rebuilt engine running. Have not managed to get it to fire up so far, but I noticed that the red ignition light comes on as soon as the battery is connected - even when the ignition is turned off and the keys are out. It stays on in key position 1 and 2, but when the engine is cranking it goes out. With the alternator disconnected, the light is out.

Bad alternator? Any help very much appreciated!

41076299845_3d3e667cdf_c.jpg

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

Might be wiring or instruments printed circuit. The bulb sits between the ignition switch and alternator. As the alternator has a permanent live connection to the battery, via the solenoid terminal, there's potential there if the alternator diodes fail. The fuel, temp & oil light can provide an earth. Disconnect the thick browns either at the alternator or solenoid to see.

The thinner brown wire with the stripe goes to the ignition lamp.

The

#3 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

Its right in what effel is saying, but try disconnecting things that could possibly give it a ground, fuel sender, oil temp sensor one at a time to see if the light goes out if it does Id suspect something with the alternator, if not Id imagine it would somehow be picking up a live from the ignition side but Id imagine the oil light would be on to. Out of curiosity have you messed with the fuse box? Maybe the white ignition wire is connected to a permanent live and the oil pressure light isnt working. Just a thought

#4 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info both. Ill see what I can learn by disconnecting some of those other things.

Yes I have messed about with the fuse box - the car has been totally rebuilt from scratch but I tried to keep things as they were as much as possible. I have added an electric fuel pump though, which is run from the white wire.

Also, as it happens I had the oil pressure sensor disconnected when I took that photo because I had a pressure testing gauge plugged in. So maybe the oil light would also have been on. Ill check for that.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

It does sound like a duff Alternator.

#6 rich2

rich2

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

New alternator in. Have not tried starting it again yet but iginition light is now behaving as expected when the battery is connected. :)

Thanks for the advice all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users