#1 Kip

Kip

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

Hi,
I bought a Mini Mayfair in very good condition bodywise. It's an auto because l lost use of right leg many years ago. After only having it for 2 weeks the Auto box is slipping. What do I need to do.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

If it's slipping you need to check it. First a few questions

How old is the oil(also what grade)

What mileage is on the engine? (Has there been a rebuild on the engine and box?)

#3 Kip

Kip

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

There's 46,000 miles on the clock.
I don't know anything else. The bloke I bought it off has a good reputation. He changed the plugs and oil but I think he was more bodywork orientated.

#4 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:05 PM

auto box ........what you need to do is pop along to a car parts supplier (oils, de-greasers ect) and get some engine flushing oil 2 x 75mls bottles, pour one into engine jack up front and pop axle stands under sub so wheels are free, start engind and run it for 20mins moving shift in all gears..(this will free up the planet gears that are clogged with **** from non regular services) then switch off and drain old oil (careful very HOT) refull with cheep oil and then put 2nd bottle in and repeat then drain oil again and this time change oil canister filter and refill with 20/50....

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

auto box ........what you need to do is pop along to a car parts supplier (oils, de-greasers ect) and get some engine flushing oil 2 x 75mls bottles, pour one into engine jack up front and pop axle stands under sub so wheels are free, start engind and run it for 20mins moving shift in all gears..(this will free up the planet gears that are clogged with **** from non regular services) then switch off and drain old oil (careful very HOT) refull with cheep oil and then put 2nd bottle in and repeat then drain oil again and this time change oil canister filter and refill with 20/50....

I actually wouldn't recommend flushing the engine, I've seen engines being damaged because of the weasel p*ss that is a flush. Simply buy a cheap 10/40 oil(which a forum Search will confirm) and run that for an hour(a leisurely drive if possible, to get the engine warm) then drain and fill with top quality 10/40 oil

#6 Wim Fournier

Wim Fournier

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:26 AM

DON"T FLUSH!

The friction material is delicat. You will destroy it.

Have a look at  http://autominiregister.proboards.com . There you will find all the information you need.

There is one thing special about automatic Mini's; the gear switching labyrinth is not laying flat on the bottom but but standig upricht on the wall. As a result, when the car is standing for a longer time the oil in the labyrinth is going down and wher oil leaves air is coming in. Every time a new owner is complaining about slipping gears as a result of this. After a while all the space in the labyrint is filled with oil again and problems are over.

There is a new fenomenon. People have experienced that you should prefer to use oil ment fot motorbikes with wet clutches. It works marvellous in your MiniMatic.

Have a good reed of the 'oil' paragraf on http://autominiregister.proboards.com

Good luck with your MiniMatic!

#7 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

worked for me several times and never had a problem

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:23 PM

I always flush with a cheap alternative of the correct grade if oil(in this case 10/40) simply allow the car to go through all the gears, including the 123 positions on the selector

The reason being that many people have Knackered bottom ends and gearboxes using 'flushes'

Edited by cal844, 10 May 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#9 Kip

Kip

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:53 PM

Thanks guys for all the info. At least now I can make an informed decision. Cheer's.

#10 limby2000

limby2000

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:11 AM

Hi kip, just make sure the oil you pick is 10w40 (ma2), it has to have the ma2 as this is put in for wet clutch application,s (usually motorcycles). I personally use Motul as its pretty cheap and made a huge difference on the 3rd to 4th gear flare that mine suffered with.

#11 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

I always flush with a cheap alternative of the correct grade if oil(in this case 10/40) simply allow the car to go through all the gears, including the 123 positions on the selector

The reason being that many people have Knackered bottom ends and gearboxes using 'flushes'

Why I don't like flushes that much, especially in auto mini's, it's not worth 'contaminating' the engine with cheap oil either.
lack of zddp destroys cams, and that cheap oil will get stuck in the auto 'labyrinth'. A few regular oil changes with top quality oil is my preffered way, although a tad expensive.

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:40 AM

Why I don't like flushes that much, especially in auto mini's, it's not worth 'contaminating' the engine with cheap oil either.
lack of zddp destroys cams, and that cheap oil will get stuck in the auto 'labyrinth'. A few regular oil changes with top quality oil is my preffered way, although a tad expensive.

Yes I agree that although expensive it is better to flush with the oil planned to be used

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users