#1 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

Hello,

I have just purchased a new 70 AMP alternator to replace my existing on a 78 Mini.  Product - GXE2297 from Mini spares. I plan on updating the wiring to the solenoid to handle the upgraded amperage and just wanted to note that the wiring for the old is simply the three prong connector.

I was advised the new one is compatible and assume the only thing I need to attach is the ground to the clip in the new alternator.

Does anyone have details or instuctions as thinking it is simple but want to be safe and not burn the thing up - lol.  A picture would be great..

Phil

Edited by postve, 09 May 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#2 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Did you buy a new plug as well, because the one on your existing one may not fit it, iirc it's a slightly different design. I suggest you unplug the existing one and just see if the plug will fit the new one.

#3 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

I am buying a replacement today as going with the thought - new electrical - replace all applicable wiring if possible:)  A few checks I have done;

• Pullies line up
  • New wiring
  • new bolts - old ones look a little worn

I guess my real ask is if that is all and simply grounding the thing as per standard electrical wiring.  Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users