12 replies to this topic

#1 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:39 PM

Hello all, in my never ending array of issues Ive got a new one!
Today I replaced the gasket and seal on the drivers side diff. All went well I assume (nothing obvious broke)
I also replaced the bushes on the top and bottom engine steady to purple poly ones.

Refilled with oil I fired the engine up but now the stick is very stiff... you certainly cant wobble it left and right in neutral and when I went for a test drive around the corner Im pretty sure that when going 2nd - 3rd I was able to move the gearstick over as if I was going to select reverse... it is stiff no matter what gear going in and out.

What have I done now?!

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,927 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Check all the external parts for sure, bushes, pins, etc, however it does sound very much like one of the bushes that's in reverse gear is walking out. When that happens it doesn't allow the gearbox to properly select Neutral and it gets very tight across the Neutral gate.

It's an easy fix, but is an engine out, gearbox off job.

To fix it, find an earlier reverse gear, they had a one piece bush and the don't come out like these do.

#3 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

Did you make sure the detent ball & spring were reinstated properly, and with a new o-ring?

#4 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

Did you make sure the detent ball & spring were reinstated properly, and with a new o-ring?

Im gonna go with no.... I did see a spring coming out of a hole but left it alone...

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

The spring will pop out somewhat, when you take the side cover off. Provided the spring didn't come out completely, the ball bearing has to still be inside.

There's also a metal sleeve; a small tubular piece that lines the hole for the spring and ball. Is that still there? It's quite obvious if it's not there as the spring would be far too small compared with the hole.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,927 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

The spring will pop out somewhat, when you take the side cover off. Provided the spring didn't come out completely, the ball bearing has to still be inside.

There's also a metal sleeve; a small tubular piece that lines the hole for the spring and ball. Is that still there? It's quite obvious if it's not there as the spring would be far too small compared with the hole.

If the spring, ball or sleeve became dislodged, you wouldn't be able to get the cover back on,,, well, not without a big hammer,,,,

#7 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:01 AM

Yeah Im 99.9% sure nothing fell out, no sleeve or ball. The spring popped out about 5mm maybe and that was it

#8 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

Sorry to bump but has anyone got any tips for me? Not sure where to start with this

#9 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

Ummm, have you checked the roller pins haven't come loose and fouling. Doubtful, but you never know......

#10 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:18 PM

Ummm, have you checked the roller pins haven't come loose and fouling. Doubtful, but you never know......

Yup roll pins are all in and secure... if I have to take this all apart again Im going to cry and post you all a tear

#11 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Reading some old threads it does sound like the reverse idler? (No idea what that actually is)
Im not made of money nor am I any sort of engineer. The car is still driveable, will I do any damage continuing to drive as I really dont want to stop when Ive only just got going!

#12 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,927 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

Reading some old threads it does sound like the reverse idler? (No idea what that actually is)
Im not made of money nor am I any sort of engineer. The car is still driveable, will I do any damage continuing to drive as I really dont want to stop when Ive only just got going!

I don't think it'll do much damage but will wear the bell cranks and the toggle on the selector shaft, it may dislodge the toggle and that can prevent you from selecting any gear. It will likely get worse to the point where after using Reverse one time, you will only be able to select Reverse and out of Reverse will all other gears locked out as the bushes walks further out.

#13 TheFabMini

TheFabMini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

I don't think it'll do much damage but will wear the bell cranks and the toggle on the selector shaft, it may dislodge the toggle and that can prevent you from selecting any gear. It will likely get worse to the point where after using Reverse one time, you will only be able to select Reverse and out of Reverse will all other gears locked out as the bushes walks further out.

Weirdly that does sound like an issue I had previously! If I ever reversed up any sort of slope Id get stuck in reverse and not be able to get it back into neutral or any other gear. I could push it out of reverse but it wasnt in a proper neutral where I could push the gear stick left and right..

Gutted that its now playing up! If its gonna be to expensive to fix Ill be forced to sell the car as I just dont have the finances to have a total money pit!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users