3 replies to this topic

#1 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:07 PM

So whats a good primer for bare metal? Im planning on replacing the front end, 4 sills and prob flitch and heal bits too... i will be priming the whole car eventually too so rather not use spray cans, what would i be looking for buying it by the litre? 

I plan to be spraying it with a wagner electric sprayer i have, ( i know it prob wont look like a showroom car, and im happy with that) its a decent size and doesnt require additional thinning, but if it needs thinning to be applyed also i will need advise on whi h to buy.

I do like the idea of using a waterbased paint for colour and the body will be going white so no dark primer i believe 

Thanks for the help in advamce guys

#2 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

I recommend epoxy primer. I used epoxy mastic on underside and lechler epoxy or hb body high build epoxy on rest, need a good clean preferable blasted or rough finish rather than wire brushed smooth for best adhesion. You can do any filling over this and seal with another coat of epoxy. I then followed this up with lechler ti green high build primer.

#3 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

I was hoping to be priming over the panels eithe bare metal or the ecoating that will be left in places. I dont really want to sand blast the car

#4 Daz1968

Daz1968

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

Yes that will be fine, just don’t use too fine a paper, I did all sanding with p80 on da with bare metal, the primer needs something to grip onto, wire brushed smooth metal can limit adhesion, that’s what I have found in the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users