Photo
- - - - -

Mini Spares Anti Leak Kit

Best Answer idaz , 11 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

Tried to fit it a bit better, but in the end I just cut it off. Now the car drives fine and second gear doesn't slip.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 idaz

idaz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:12 PM

I had the mini spare anti leak kit put on my mini, and now when going into second gear it slips very easily. The rest of the gears are okay, it just only on second gear.

I looked up and saw that issue may be due to the rubber gaiter in the kit. Would removing it cause any issues? Or should I look for other reasons why it started popping out of second gear.

Thank you,

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

If it's popping out of gear id say it's a synchro issue, or worn selector forks. I have this kit in my clubman estate, the engine has 52000 miles, it never crunches. The issue I have is when initially stated it won't go into first or second gear until the engine has run for 2 or 3 minutes, which could be due to the rubber dust shield being slightly too long for the application.

What mileage does your engine have on it? How regularly was it serviced?

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:38 AM

Check all the external parts and in particular, that there's nothing resting on the gearstick when in 2nd (eg, carpet etc) and that the shifter body mounts are also good.

If that checks out, then usually (and commonly) it's a worn selector fork in the gearbox.

Don't let it do it too many times, in fact avoid it slipping out of gear all together as on top of the selector fork, you'll also be up for a 2nd gear.

I'd actually recommend, if the box has to come out and have the fork changed, to overhaul the whole box, including the diff. This is usually a selector fork for 1st / 2nd (the one for 3rd / 4th is usually OK), Bearings, Layshaft, Baulk Rings & Springs as well as just about everything in the diff. I suggest this because more often than not, by the time the gearbox is worn to the point of slipping out of gears, the rest of it isn't too far behind.

#4 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:59 AM

I think the other guys are onto it......when I've had trouble with the length of the gaiter interfering with shifting, it's always been 4th, not 2nd. Easy way to tell, remove the gaiter and see if the problem goes away!

#5 cian

cian

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:31 AM

Cut the gaiter out

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:04 AM

What age is the Mini and who fit the kit?

Edited by GraemeC, 10 May 2018 - 05:05 AM.

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Stretch the first corrugation of the rubber gaiter over the link collar right up to just before the roll pin and see how that goes. This will in effect 'shorten' it a little stopping it compressing up completely.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

I never fit the gaiter. They only help hold dirt and then shove it in to the seal.

#9 idaz

idaz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:17 PM   Best Answer

Tried to fit it a bit better, but in the end I just cut it off. Now the car drives fine and second gear doesn't slip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users