7 replies to this topic

#1 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

Looking for a bit of advice. My mini is going back to 10" wheels and no arch extensions, along the lines of a Mk3 replica with mk2/3 rear lights and front indicators etc. I've bought a set of GAM113 domed mirrors from Minispares, but am now considering going without door mirrors and perhaps just having one of the clamp-on overtaking mirrors to keep things as simple and clean as possible.

Does anyone have any experience of these? Are they functional, i.e, do they work without too much vibration etc? Are there any that are better than others? Seen various people selling them, some round, some rectangular, some with flat brackets, some with curved stem mounts like an old wing mirror. Any advice appreciated!

#2 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

I have one of the rectangle ones and it is handy, can see what I need and no vibration whatsoever! I have one because I removed the door mirrors and fitted some downton style ones on the the wings, but they're not the best visibility wise.

I only have the rectangle one because it was cheap at a show, but the round ones look better I think. I can't comment on visibility of the round ones though

#3 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for that. I also like the round ones. There's some for sale on eBay that look like they have the same mounting bracket as the rectangular one that Minispares sell, so I'm thinking it should perform the same. 3" and 4" diameter. May give one of those a go, and get rid of the door mirror holes.

#4 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:48 PM

Maybe im being dumb but why go without any door mirrors? Id miss mine a lot... also isnt it illigal to not have a drivers door mirror at least?

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:26 PM

I don't know the date from which a driver's side wing mirror is mandatory, but early Minis were all supplied with only an interior mirror.

On my Mk,1 I just have a rectangular mirror clamped onto the driver's side A pillar and it is excellent.

#6 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:32 PM

From the gov.uk website its all cars pre 2010 had to have an internal mirror and offside mirror  providing the inside mirror gave good view you did not need a ns mirror. After 2010 you need all 3. I personally would want all 3, it looks neeter and is much safer for other road users too

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

I am not certain, but I believe that no wing mirrors were required before 1978 and after that only one was required on the driver's side.
I know my 1972 Cortina GT was supplied new to me with only an internal mirror.

#8 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. If the overtaking mirror is as good/practical as a standard door mirror, then I'll go that route and keep the doors clean. I can certainly go without the nearside mirror as I still perform the motorcycle 'lifesaver' blindspot check out of habit anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users