#1 Chris Donaldson

Chris Donaldson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

So my MPI has had a problem starting for about 1.5 years (it's only done 3/400 miles in that time so it's not been a major issue until now). It was making a single click when I tried to turn it over about 50% of the time and the other 50% it would start. I always assumed it was the battery but have put on a new one and it's the same. Now, as a side, last week it stopped making the click at all so wouldn't start and made no attempt to. After a bit of advice I took this to be the starter solenoid which I replaced. I'm now back to the single click. A lot of reading on here made me think either battery or bad earth. I took the batteries to a local garage who tested them and confirmed they are good condition and full of charge so it's not that. The connections to them appear to be good although the positive one is a bugger to secure. I've tested the earth by putting a jump lead from the negative on the battery onto the cylinder head stud and it still didn't start. I can bump start it (2nd gear, clutch in and push to start). I've tried having it in gear and rocking it with no success. My own theory is it's the starter motor failing to engage. I'm not the most mechanical guy in the world (not the worst though) so looking for some fresh ideas. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

#2 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

Have you checked the condition of the positive lead from battery to starter?
It can get snagged on sharp corners...
Does seem more like the starter tho.

Ben

#3 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Something else to consider is the engine management relay under the bonnet, one of the relays in there is for the starter motor. I had a problem with mine which gave an intermittent problem starting, although when it was playing me up I got only ignition lights and nothing at al, from the starter or solenoid.

#4 Chris Donaldson

Chris Donaldson

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:51 AM

Have you checked the condition of the positive lead from battery to starter?
It can get snagged on sharp corners...
Does seem more like the starter tho.

I'll follow it though and check, thanks.

Ben

Something else to consider is the engine management relay under the bonnet, one of the relays in there is for the starter motor. I had a problem with mine which gave an intermittent problem starting, although when it was playing me up I got only ignition lights and nothing at al, from the starter or solenoid.

I'll have a look to see if there's something obvious. Im thinking that since I've got something from the starter then it's less likely.

#5 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

When you turn the ignition on are you hearing the fuel pump priming?

Also when you are not using the car, do you disconnect the battery? If so are are resetting the immobiliser using the key fob?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users