4 replies to this topic

#1 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

I bought a new old stock set of mirrors from mini sport, rubbed them down to the plastic as I didn't know what paint was used, sprayed them with halfords plastic primer, may have put on some other primer and then top coated them with 3 or 4 layers of cellulose. This was the start of September last year, I went to fit them a couple of weeks back and they both looked like the photos, I polished them up even with the cracks and more cracks appeared since. I've rubbed them back down again and it seems like the primer has cracked as well as the top coat. 

Any help so it doesn't happen again?

Cheers

rK9Umrb.jpg

v1PEa2d.jpg

#2 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

Halford's plastic primer the problem especially if it was there grey own brand primer.

#3 cookie4343

cookie4343

**Caution: Do Not Feed Alcohol**

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • Local Club: CV1 Mini's

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:10 PM

I use this plastic primer from upol and never had a problem. https://www.ebay.co....a4AAOxyBvZTU59E

Id rub back to plastic re prime and topcoat, should get back to bare plastic pretty fast with 400 wet and dry. Another option is thinner soaked rags placed over the mirrors for say10 mins at a time which will soften the paint without affecting the plastic.

Edited by cookie4343, 12 May 2018 - 09:15 PM.

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:35 PM

I use this plastic primer from upol and never had a problem. https://www.ebay.co....a4AAOxyBvZTU59E

Id rub back to plastic re prime and topcoat, should get back to bare plastic pretty fast with 400 wet and dry. Another option is thinner soaked rags placed over the mirrors for say10 mins at a time which will soften the paint without affecting the plastic.

Cheers mate, I've got 240 grit going over it at the minute and it's getting there slowly  :lol:

I'll get a can of that ordered.

#5 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 04:55 PM

I'd love to know if in a few months time the upol primer cracks or not, hopefully the latter. As I've been noticing the same on the painted bumpers, wheel arches, door handles and boot lamp on mine all painted 8 months ago with autotek grey/plastic primer, (I've attauacly had a can of the grey primer recent that just crazed the second it dried) and then holts/hycote rover grey over the top.

The boot lamp being the worst (excuse the blob of paint, that was the first paint chip when the car was being refitted)

42626496402_5956449a58_c.jpg

41956999994_287bf64e50_c.jpg

So far I've used Halfords grey primer, Simonize grey primer (and there own brand wheel paint) and now the autotek stuff, all of witch has crazed regardless of top coat a few months afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users