#1 MiniMike72

MiniMike72

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

Evenin' all,

I had a few Mini's between the ages of 17 and 22  - KFY 673P, RTT 716R, FWG 535V and UPM 858H - and then, as life changed, I needed a more practical vehicle. As the years rolled by the pounds piled on, and soon the idea of driving a Mini seemed to be nothing but a distant memory. This pic of me with the V reg about to set off with my mate to our first music festival was taken some ten stones ago -

Attached File  31056817_1876454422411437_2107851081361915904_o.jpg   46.08K   1 downloads

Over the intervening years I settled on buying a few Morris Minors to drive on the weekend - a compromise for fat blokes like me who are too big to drive Mini's - but they never really 'scratched that itch'. Anyway, the bottom line is that I am currently on a mission to lose this weight and get back to a healthy size. I'm already a stone down, but chatting about diet and fitness isn't why I joined here. The thing I have promised myself when I am at my fighting weight is a Mini, a 1972 because that's the year I was born. But Jeez they haven't they gotten expensive since I last had one 20-odd years ago? 8 grand?!?

In all likelihood this is probably a midlife crisis, but who cares? I am enjoying getting mired in the whole world of Mini's afresh again and as part of that I thought that I would join here as, at some point, maybe the right car will present itself, plus it looks like a good place to chat with like minds.

And yes, if this all works out me and my mate do intend to recreate the snap.

Cheers, Mike

#2 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

Welcome, im also a child of 1972 vintage and have recently returned to mini (innocenti) ownership after selling my 1330 clubby some 10 years ago, what i did was buy a pretty much sound shell, the rest being the fact that its an innocenti is a bonus, and im collecting parts as i go, and aiming to start building it this year, and have it out for 2019, i cant afford to throw a wedge of cash at it all at once, so a few quid here and there suits my needs, and chasing down parts just adds to the enjoyment of it, dont concentrate your search only on the uk, I brought mine in from Italy, and the shell even though needing a roof skin is in exceptional condition otherwise for a 1970 car, it was undersealed from the factory, anyway whatever route you choose, best of luck, and i look forward to seeing a build thread

Edited by miniireland, 13 May 2018 - 07:10 AM.

#3 MiniMike72

MiniMike72

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

Sounds like you are very mechanically minded mate. I don't know what route I'll go down. There are 2 options, buy one all done or get one in a state and do it up. I have a mate who will help with the latter and he has all the equipment and a garage, so that might be possible. If so I will certainly be posting the build here. In saying that though it doesn't seem like there are wrecks to buy on every corner like when I was buying them in the early 90s. Back then, as I'm sure you recall, you could pick one up for £50-100, now the wrecks seem to be going for a few grand. I have only been looking on Ebay though, I'm sure that picture changes if you get out n about.

Cheers and good to meet you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users