#1 bluemini1979

bluemini1979

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Colchester Mini Club

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

Have had my mini motd recently. It passed but the rear brakes were only just up to standard. The pedal was hard but after pushing hard to do the brake test appears to come to pressure lower down. Pedal doesnt pump up and I cant get any air out the system.
Anyone have any ideas where to start?
Car is a 79 with yellow tag master cylinder with the valve on the bulkhead, minispares 4 pot alloy calipers for 7.5 discs and 9/16 bore rear cylinders as recommended by minispares.
Thanks

#2 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

One thing to check is the rear brake cylinders. I recently changed all the shoes on mine, pumping the pedal after adjusting each one, but the pedal was getting lower. Got to the last of the brakes and found the cylinder was leaking...

#3 Moke Spider

Moke Spider

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,602 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:44 PM

I feel that the 9/16" Cylinders are too small, I think 5/8" would be the right size and would give more braking on the rears, however you just need to check they don't over-brake and lock.

#4 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

A 'just passed' for rear brakes would be my perfect MOT result - less chance of them locking up in the wet under heavy braking.

#5 timmy850

timmy850

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:58 AM

The drums are quite sensitive to proper adjustment, if they are a bit loose they will give a low pedal. Have you got the shoes on the right way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares