3 replies to this topic

#1 Newtabmini

Newtabmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:35 PM

Hi, I'm new here and I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on kit cars.

Due to a medical condition I am no longer able to drive, however I have had a 87 Mayfair in my garage for a couple of years now, it is nearly all there although none of it is in the right place, As yet I have just not had the time to start working on it but it is now time to do something with it. I don't know if it runs or not as there is nothing connected to the engine, the shell is in a very good condition although it needs a coat of paint. Before I start spending a fortune on it  I was just wondering if it would be worth looking for some form of kit or something different for it and if anyone could recommend anything, I had thought about one of these bike engine kits but I'm now not too sure what to do with it, I'm just looking for something that would make a good hobby and get me away from having to watch Emmerdale.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

#2 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:03 PM

So you say you can't drive because of a medical condition. If so can I ask what the car will be for? Driving on private land etc?

#3 Newtabmini

Newtabmini

Starting My Mini Up

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

Hi no, this is just a going to be a hobby, I have no plans to drive it. I used to be a mechanic some 20 years ago and due to a brain tumor / epilepsy I have had to surrender my licence so I am just trying to find something to pass the time. I was a mechanic for 16 years and my first car was a mini, I had 4 other ones in my 20s but now approaching retirement I am just looking for something different to keep me from going mad, having thought about it over the last couple of days I think that I may be going down the R1 route.

#4 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

I suppose to some extent it depends on budget - adding the cost of a bike engine subframe to the normal cost of restoring the bodyshell must make it a more expensive option?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users