6 replies to this topic

#1 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

It's been almost 2 years since my rebuild and I have done no other mods, just necessary repairs.  I have a '93 Spi 1275 with a lightly flowed head, high lift cam and lightened flywheel.  It runs great, daily driver.  The ignition seems to be standard.  Can I improve by getting a better spark ?  What would I need to do and how much would that investment be?

Right now I can't really think of anything else I want to do to the car as it just goes pretty much how I want it to.  Cheers if you know about beefing up the spark and can share your know how.

#2 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

I was JUST looking into this as well as mine is due for a service. What are the best HT leads out there for these cars (Rover 8mm silicone units?) and is there an upgraded coil that works with the injection cars? 

#3 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

As long as the ignition system is in good condition, a 'standard spark' with standard parts is perfectly adequate; in my opinion.

#4 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:30 PM

Wiggy,

I have to agree with you, yet if the high performance people make these upgrades that means if done right there is some possibility of a gain.  Glad to see others are thinking about this too.  Sometimes I want to fiddle with the mini but it's just doing it's job too well at the moment - maybe a rare moment - haha

#5 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

Yeah, I agree with you in turn. 😉

But modifications go hand in hand, so if you had a fire breathing monster there'd be an argument for ignition system mods. But on a lightly modified engine there'd be little point/benefit.

Like strapping a Weber onto a standard 998cc. (Well not exactly but you know what I mean.)

Personally, I'd be saving my pennies for a bigger valve head.

#6 ryomini

ryomini

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

Makes sense

I don't think I measured my valves when I did the engine build, but have lots of pics.  As I flowed the head I won't be shelling out cash on another one - and it's always a tradeoff - I like a bit of spurt but I like good to even very good mpg, so I don't think bigger valves will do me any good.  I'll leave it as it is.  Changed the break fluid this week and will clean it up for it's next MOT around September time - thanks for the advice.

#7 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

dont waste your money for the expensive leads. Most of them have not the right conection. Better use the standart ones and change them from time to time, they last not forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users