79 replies to this topic

#1 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

Has anyone taken the option of not MOTing their car yet? My oil leaking car will fail the new regulations coming into force on the 20th of this month. I either rush to re-MOT it this week, or take the no MOT option when the current MOT expires in a couple of months.

The engine is coming out over the summer for a re-build to fix the leaks, but I don’t think I’ll manage to get it done before the MOT is due.

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

Waiting to find out the process, got my tax reminder for the end of the month, it's already registered as historic, current mot expires early to mid june.
Waiting till later in the month to retax it and see if the option to register it as a VHI is there.

#3 ukcooper

ukcooper

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

next week , if it fails I tell em fix it, they wont like that lmao....

#4 Minigman

Minigman

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:19 PM

My MOT expires tomorrow so will SORN it for a few days and see how I get on with retaxing and VHI on Sunday when the new rule comes into force.

#5 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Is oil leaks a thing on the MOT now?  I'm stuffed!

#6 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

Yes. Comes under environmental damage.
I have a sump guard and squeeze a sponge between the sump and the guard to absorb the oil. Had a long high speed run the other day, jacked up the car at the front to grease the joints and oil drained off the back of the guard like a small waterfall. Turns out I'd lost the sponge.

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Has anyone taken the option of not MOTing their car yet? My oil leaking car will fail the new regulations coming into force on the 20th of this month. I either rush to re-MOT it this week, or take the no MOT option when the current MOT expires in a couple of months.

The engine is coming out over the summer for a re-build to fix the leaks, but I don’t think I’ll manage to get it done before the MOT is due.

Pretty sure its only if its a severe leak 

#8 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:09 PM

I have a severe leak.

#9 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:20 PM

Asking on an MOT forum, leaks must make a pool larger thasn 75mm in 5mins of idle to fail. If your leak is that bad you have a problem. 

#10 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:25 PM

It needs fixing, but it's not that bad.

Thanks for the info.

#11 surfblue

surfblue

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:40 PM

Nothing like an incontinent Mini  :shy:

Mine's the same, sits with a drip tray under it in the garage, but its not a leak, its the factory fitted optional automatic underbody anti corrosion treatment system ;D

#12 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:01 PM

I thought the oil leaks were a way of ensuring the oil is always fresh. Bad oil out the bottom good In the top

#13 mini_in_progress

mini_in_progress

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:46 PM

I thought the oil leaks were a way of ensuring the oil is always fresh. Bad oil out the bottom good In the top

Its so the front subframe doesnt rust out

#14 rkde

rkde

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

Just had mine done and the garage tested it under the new testing process and it went through with no issues. From what I hear a lot of garages are already testing to the new rules but I guess they can't fail you on the new rules yet.

Got to say the thing that would be worrying me more than anything is if you fail a major then the car can't go back on the road even if you are a month early. Its a £2500 fine so would need to be fixed at the garage or towed back with all 4 wheels off the road. Not too much of an issue as I have a trailer but I can see it being an issue for some

Our 40+ year old cars will go through an MOT every other year I think. If you choose not to MOT a historic vehicle but drive it in such a state that it would fail an MOT then its 9 points and a fine. I do take really good care of my cars but I find that the MOT just gives piece of mind and I am not sure that I agree with 40 years being enough that you can presume that all the cars in the age are looked after well and not bodged 

#15 Mito

Mito

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

I thought it was only dangerous failures which prevent you from driving away from the test centre and that major failures just mean that you can't continue to drive it if the old mot is still valid.

I'm looking at joining the dark side and buying a BMW mini clubman to be able to tow them if necessary. I need to get a b+e licence first though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users