#1 Chris1992

Chris1992

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: Cambridge Modified Society

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

Hi guys, so I've done a few searches on the forum for this already and was surprised the I couldn't find an answer, so here I am.

When I get up to about 55-60mph, I start to get a fair bit of steering wheel wobble. I used to run 13x7 banded steels, which I had balanced twice with no joy, I now have 13x7 3 piece force racing wheels balanced with with brand new yokos, still no joy! I also have KAD billet alloy front hubs with brand new metro ball joints. As well as this, I've had a good look at my top and bottom arms, steering column, drive shafts, etc, but just can't find anything wrong, and nothing is loose. At first I thought maybe I have a warped disk, but I get no juddering under braking, and the disks look just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem, and can maybe shed some light n the subject? 

Cheers

Chris

#2 Moke Spider

Moke Spider

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

It could be a drive flange, Jack the front wheels in the and give them a spin, looking for any wobble or running off centre.

I recall one chap on another forum replaced everything in the front end, one part at a time and it did eventually go when he replaced one of the hubs, why this would be the cause, I'm unsure and he didn't look any further.

They are big wheels that you are running and so it wouldn't take much at all to upset the apple cart.

#3 Chris1992

Chris1992

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: Cambridge Modified Society

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:00 PM

It could be a drive flange, Jack the front wheels in the and give them a spin, looking for any wobble or running off centre.

I recall one chap on another forum replaced everything in the front end, one part at a time and it did eventually go when he replaced one of the hubs, why this would be the cause, I'm unsure and he didn't look any further.

They are big wheels that you are running and so it wouldn't take much at all to upset the apple cart.

OK thanks mate, will give that a try tomorrow! 

#4 Retroman

Retroman

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

The favourite will be the steering rack...

On a four post ramp with swivel pads under each wheel--- someone waggling the steering a fraction back and forth and someone good underneath should trace it.

Rack and pinion, rack arm inner joints and track rod ends all need to be perfect

Wheels of that size increase the loads on things a lot, non of the components were designed for that, and the weakest link will be enphasized more with bigger heavier wheels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares