41 replies to this topic

#1 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:21 PM

Hi guys, so I've done a few searches on the forum for this already and was surprised the I couldn't find an answer, so here I am.

When I get up to about 55-60mph, I start to get a fair bit of steering wheel wobble. I used to run 13x7 banded steels, which I had balanced twice with no joy, I now have 13x7 3 piece force racing wheels balanced with with brand new yokos, still no joy! I also have KAD billet alloy front hubs with brand new metro ball joints. As well as this, I've had a good look at my top and bottom arms, steering column, drive shafts, etc, but just can't find anything wrong, and nothing is loose. At first I thought maybe I have a warped disk, but I get no juddering under braking, and the disks look just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem, and can maybe shed some light n the subject? 

Cheers

Chris

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:44 PM

It could be a drive flange, Jack the front wheels in the and give them a spin, looking for any wobble or running off centre.

I recall one chap on another forum replaced everything in the front end, one part at a time and it did eventually go when he replaced one of the hubs, why this would be the cause, I'm unsure and he didn't look any further.

They are big wheels that you are running and so it wouldn't take much at all to upset the apple cart.

#3 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:00 PM

It could be a drive flange, Jack the front wheels in the and give them a spin, looking for any wobble or running off centre.

I recall one chap on another forum replaced everything in the front end, one part at a time and it did eventually go when he replaced one of the hubs, why this would be the cause, I'm unsure and he didn't look any further.

They are big wheels that you are running and so it wouldn't take much at all to upset the apple cart.

OK thanks mate, will give that a try tomorrow! 

#4 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:27 PM

The favourite will be the steering rack...

On a four post ramp with swivel pads under each wheel--- someone waggling the steering a fraction back and forth and someone good underneath should trace it.

Rack and pinion, rack arm inner joints and track rod ends all need to be perfect

Wheels of that size increase the loads on things a lot, non of the components were designed for that, and the weakest link will be enphasized more with bigger heavier wheels

#5 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

bumping this as I'm still having issues! Just to recap, I've checked track rod ends, hubs, top arms, bottom arms, tie rods, bearings, steering rack, subframe mounts, and all seems to be in good order. I also have brand new wheels and tyres which were balanced not too long ago when the tyres were fitted. They don't appear to have lost any weights. All that's left is my drive shafts and inner cv joints. What are the chances of these being the issue, and how can I test them? As drive shafts are quite expensive I don't want to replace them if I don't have to. I't booked in to have the tracking and wheels balancing done again, but other than what I've mentioned I'm all out of ideas!  :( I've heard that on-car wheel balancing is a thing, but does anyone know anywhere in the north essex/cambridge area that offer this service?

edit: I've just been investigating the pot joints and driveshafts. If I grab the driveshafts there is some up-and-down movement, as well as in-and-out movement on both side. This happens when the car is on the ground as well as in the air. Thoughts? 

Edited by Chris1992, 06 June 2018 - 07:32 PM.

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 08:24 PM

Is it a steering wobble, or a vibration?

#7 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:08 PM

unlikely to be drive shafts as their diameter is so much smaller than the wheel. I think the suggestion about a drive flange issue is more likely, as the wheel attaches to it. I have had many people fail to balance mini wheels properly though, so it could always still be that. 

#8 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:30 PM

unlikely to be drive shafts as their diameter is so much smaller than the wheel. I think the suggestion about a drive flange issue is more likely, as the wheel attaches to it. I have had many people fail to balance mini wheels properly though, so it could always still be that. 

Ok thanks mate, drive flanges will be my next port of call if all else fails. What would make new ones any more accurate than  my current ones though? 

Is it a steering wobble, or a vibration?

It's definitely a steering wobble mate. 

#9 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:56 AM

If it makes you feel any better, I'm having a very similar problem with my Racing Green Mini, I have been all thru the front end - new everything in the suspension, I also swapped wheels with a guy running 12's on his car - same issue, same speeds. Mine begins around 45-46 mph and goes away at 52-55 mph. Same issue, a very pronounced wobble.....

The only thing left are the axles.......

#10 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:28 AM

Do you have any play in the steering wheel when stopped? It could possibly be poor splines from the hub to the steering column, or where the column meets the rack. 

#11 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:54 AM

Ire the front tie rod mounts securely fastened to the subframe? Have you had the caster setting checked?

#12 grck1

grck1

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

Don't discount a bent drive shaft, one will give a very similar feeling to out off balance wheels, occuring at similar speeds as well.
Mine does this thanks to a clumsy previous owner / garage jacking it up on the drive shaft.

#13 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

Have you rotated and checked the wheels for run-out (wobble) while on a jack?

Do the same with it in 1st gear with the engine running - taking suitable safety precautions of course.

When you take it down for a wheel balance & alignment,m be sure to let them know and ask them to look.

#14 Aaron3

Aaron3

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Local Club: Sunmc

Posted 07 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

I had the same with my 7x13 it was all over the road. I changed my subframe mounts and it was around 50% better so I then took one further and solid mounted it and it’s around 80% better,handles better too. my original mounts where really worn causing the subby to twist all over the place. But I’ve spoken to a couple of people who get a bit of wonder with bigger wheels.

Edited by Aaron3, 07 June 2018 - 11:26 AM.

#15 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

Do you have any play in the steering wheel when stopped? It could possibly be poor splines from the hub to the steering column, or where the column meets the rack. 

None at all, but I will check the splines! 

Ire the front tie rod mounts securely fastened to the subframe? Have you had the caster setting checked?

They seem to be. I actually have no idea what the caster is, but it's booked in for a full alignment saturday morning, so i will make sure it's set correctly.

Have you rotated and checked the wheels for run-out (wobble) while on a jack?

Do the same with it in 1st gear with the engine running - taking suitable safety precautions of course.

When you take it down for a wheel balance & alignment,m be sure to let them know and ask them to look.

I have, and they do seem to be spinning slightly off center, as are the drive shafts and diff pot joints. How much run out is acceptable for a mini? Or should there be absolutely none at all? 

I had the same with my 7x13 it was all over the road. I changed my subframe mounts and it was around 50% better so I then took one further and solid mounted it and it’s around 80% better,handles better too. my original mounts where really worn causing the subby to twist all over the place. But I’ve spoken to a couple of people who get a bit of wonder with bigger wheels.

My subby is already solid mounted  :unsure: The slight wondering doesn't bother me really, its just this bloody wobble I need to get sorted! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users