#16 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

Have you rotated and checked the wheels for run-out (wobble) while on a jack?

Do the same with it in 1st gear with the engine running - taking suitable safety precautions of course.

When you take it down for a wheel balance & alignment,m be sure to let them know and ask them to look.

I have, and they do seem to be spinning slightly off center, as are the drive shafts and diff pot joints. How much run out is acceptable for a mini? Or should there be absolutely none at all?

I really doubt it would be the Pot Joints or Drive Shafts, however I think what you've found with the Wheels themselves should be further looked in to as with big wide wheels, it wouldn't need much to be able to feel and notice an issue.

Bear in mind, this could be the Wheels of course, but also could be the way they mount to the Drive Flange or the Drive Flange itself. Check the Wheel Nuts are in fact doing up tight on the Wheel and not bottoming out on the Stud or the Drive Flange.

#17 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:22 PM

I really doubt it would be the Pot Joints or Drive Shafts, however I think what you've found with the Wheels themselves should be further looked in to as with big wide wheels, it wouldn't need much to be able to feel and notice an issue.

Bear in mind, this could be the Wheels of course, but also could be the way they mount to the Drive Flange or the Drive Flange itself. Check the Wheel Nuts are in fact doing up tight on the Wheel and not bottoming out on the Stud or the Drive Flange.

I'm hoping you're right as that would be an absolute pain :/ I will definitely have a good look at the drive flanges. I'm about to record a video of the car up on jack stands with the wheels spinning so I'll upload it here for people to get a better idea of what might be wrong. Thanks for the help mate. 

#18 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:03 AM

Update. Just had a full alignment and balancing done, and it's hardly made any difference. So I'm back to square one again. 

Here is a pretty ropey video I made 

#19 scoop-deluxe

scoop-deluxe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:44 AM

What is the condition of the outer cv joint and spline on the hub flange?
Could also be worth spinning the drive shaft in a lathe with a dial indicator to make sure it runs true.

#20 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:19 PM

What is the condition of the outer cv joint and spline on the hub flange?
Could also be worth spinning the drive shaft in a lathe with a dial indicator to make sure it runs true.

I'm not sure of the outer CV as I've not yet examined the driveshafts, but I am beginning to think that I might have a bent drive shaft or knackered outer CV on one side. As far as I can remember from when I last split the drive flanges from the disks, the splines were in good condition.

#21 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:29 PM

Looking at your 'ropey' video (nice work) it does indeed appear that there is some run out in the wheels.

I've mentioned before, I wouldn't get too hung up on the dive shafts, they have to be a long way out to be able to feel them as they run close to the centre line and compared to the weight of the wheel, tyre, disc and drive flange combination, they weigh nothing, so they'd have to be WAY out before you'd notice them, however, when they do get like that, it's a vibration and noise you'll find at speed, rather than a wobble in the steering wheel.

With your big wheels and the wide grippy tyres on them, the wheels need to be spot on as it wouldn't take much here before you'd feel them.

Have you tied swapping the fronts to the rears?

#22 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:00 PM

Hi,

Have you got balance weights on the front and rear wheel faces?

Cheers  :proud:

#23 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:04 PM

Looking at your 'ropey' video (nice work) it does indeed appear that there is some run out in the wheels.

I've mentioned before, I wouldn't get too hung up on the dive shafts, they have to be a long way out to be able to feel them as they run close to the centre line and compared to the weight of the wheel, tyre, disc and drive flange combination, they weigh nothing, so they'd have to be WAY out before you'd notice them, however, when they do get like that, it's a vibration and noise you'll find at speed, rather than a wobble in the steering wheel.

With your big wheels and the wide grippy tyres on them, the wheels need to be spot on as it wouldn't take much here before you'd feel them.

Have you tied swapping the fronts to the rears?

Thanks for the help mate. So the only thing that leaves is the drive flanges, is it worth replacing those next? People have also mentioned that in the video it looks like my outer CV could be knackered, what do you recon? Would that cause a wobble? I haven't tried swapping the front and rears, but I have tried other sets of wheels but so far no joy.

Hi,

Have you got balance weights on the front and rear wheel faces?

No not on the outside faces mate, they're all on the inside barrel as I didn't want to spoil the dish

#24 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the help mate. So the only thing that leaves is the drive flanges, is it worth replacing those next? People have also mentioned that in the video it looks like my outer CV could be knackered, what do you recon? Would that cause a wobble? I haven't tried swapping the front and rears, but I have tried other sets of wheels but so far no joy.

Just before spending more money, can I suggest you have a look at this post?

http://www.theminifo...wheel-bearings/

While that article focuses on wheel bearings it does also touch on some of the finer detail in regards to the drive flanges. While on wheel bearings, I hate to mention it, but it does appear that KAD fit after market bearings to their hubs - I wouldn't discount these.

#25 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:40 PM

now having seen the whole info i have to ask. you had this issue before you changed the hubs to the KAD ones?

what have you not changed?

#26 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:38 PM

now having seen the whole info i have to ask. you had this issue before you changed the hubs to the KAD ones?

what have you not changed?

I did yes, but I don't think it was quite as frequent. Either that or I hadn't noticed it as I wasn't using the car for long trips like I am now in the summer. Literally the only remaining parts are the drive shafts, flanges, pot joints, and cvs. 

Just before spending more money, can I suggest you have a look at this post?

http://www.theminifo...wheel-bearings/

While that article focuses on wheel bearings it does also touch on some of the finer detail in regards to the drive flanges. While on wheel bearings, I hate to mention it, but it does appear that KAD fit after market bearings to their hubs - I wouldn't discount these.

Some good info there, thanks for the link. I do actually still have my original bearings from my old hubs that seemed to still be in good condition when I removed them, so I may try refitting them to see if they make a difference. 

#27 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:49 PM

while you are doing that, swapping the bearings over check the Drive flanges the taper washer and i would give the CVs (outer a once over) if you find nothing i would have a look at the inner CVs while the hubs are off. but there seemed little movement there are they would not really add to a wobble feel.

#28 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

Hi,

Sorry should have explained it better.

Have you got some behind the center of the wheel and some on the inner rim face?

There's more than one type of wheel balancing...

#29 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:41 AM

while you are doing that, swapping the bearings over check the Drive flanges the taper washer and i would give the CVs (outer a once over) if you find nothing i would have a look at the inner CVs while the hubs are off. but there seemed little movement there are they would not really add to a wobble feel.

Ok will do mate, thanks. While examining the outer CVs, is there anything in particular I should look for? As in, what are the symptoms of knackered outer CVs?

Hi,

Sorry should have explained it better.

Have you got some behind the center of the wheel and some on the inner rim face?

There's more than one type of wheel balancing...

Ah right I see! All weights are on the inner barrel pushed up against the back of the face, so as close to to the center as possible if that makes sense? 

#30 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:25 AM

As Moke said - driveshafts would cause a vibration.

A wobble will be felt through the steering wheel but the car will physically move about.  A vibration will just be felt, but the car will still drive straight(ish).

A wobble can only really be caused by something that affects the steering/track alignment, so:

rack

track rods

steering arms

tie rods

wheels

subframe mounts

hubs

drive flanges

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users