JBZero94

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:25 AM

Hi there

I have a 1988 Mini Jet Black.

My problem is that when I pull the handbrake, the driver's side rear drum locks fine but the passenger side rear drum is not locking at all.

What I have done so far is replaced the brake shoes and the actuators, the latter of which had previously seized.

I have also adjusted the shoes to try to get them to function evenly on both sides.

In addition, I have tried to adjust the cable via the handbrake lever and lastly, I have tried a technique which involved attaching molegrips on the handbrake cable on the drivers side. That techniques intention was to try and get some cable tension back to the passenger side (e.g. stopping the drivers side cable from moving and pull the handbrake repetitively. to try and get passengers side cable to tense up).

Unfortunately, none of these techniques have worked, do you guys have any ideas on what I can do to get the passengers side drum to function?

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:31 AM

Have you checked the quadrant on the radius arm that the handbrake cable passes around they are prone to seizing up?

#3 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:52 AM

just do handbrake turns on that side then ..... or as said spay the quadrant in wd40/plusgas leave a week and wiggle it failing that strip and rebuild.....

or its the l shape bracket worn in the drum, weld a blob on it or get a new one

top tip - do one side at a time so if you forget how it goes back, you have one side to look at....

Edited by ukcooper, 15 May 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#4 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:49 AM

On my car the clevis pin had gone missing. The one that connects the brake cable to the drum actuating lever...

#5 richmondclassicsnorthwales

richmondclassicsnorthwales

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

There is the large clevis pin to look at first at the quadrant. The pin or quadrant or both can fail.

Then there is the clevis pin at the handbrake lever end,as both issues mentioned have been mentioned previous

As well, the handbrake lever can seize of its own accord internally. A bit of WD can release the issues, but it is well worth a strip down to clean up or replace the parts as necessary, it could re-occur other wise, and your doing the job again !

Failing that, all 4 items could be tight and have seized, take your time and do the job methodically, and you will crack it.

#6 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

Jack up rear, hand brake off and usually safety precautions

If you get under the car and pull the handbrake cable it should lock the wheel up as you spin it. Careful not to catch your fingers between the tyre and arm.

If it does behave, then you can investigate other culprits.

Edited by andyapanel, 19 May 2018 - 03:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users