11 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

A bit tongue in cheek, but the mini is pushing 100k and it's still on the original sills and floors no welding 😁 uk car used all weather's and a daily drive.

Shooter

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

How many rear subframes has it had?

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

My 1993 car, which has been used daily for 20k miles in my ownership needs sills, bottom quarter repairs, door steps and front floor pans.

#4 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:22 PM

I have a grp shell mini I will let you know when I pass 100k ;)

Before the replies .....I know it’s not a real mini ! :) :)

Ref OP sounds impressive to me

#5 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

Original, still tracks true.

Shooter

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:39 PM

Original, still tracks true.

Shooter

That's all pretty impressive :shades:

#7 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:51 AM

That's impressive. What year/model is the car?

#8 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:22 AM

Might be impressive in the UK, not so much in Oz or other parts of the world. But then we don't have salt. I haven't heard of subframes rotting in Oz but Spider would know more (much!) than I...

#9 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,904 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

I haven't heard of subframes rotting in Oz but Spider would know more (much!) than I...

Yes, our lack of salt is a godsend. Like you, I've not seen any rot here, all my cars have original subframes as I think yours would too, the oldest in my current collection goes back to 1971.

However, our UK based brothers & sisters face a different story, some needing replacing every 2 or 3 years. There's just so many nooks and crannies in them, I can see how it happens. I was chatting with 4X Moke just the other evening on this and he mentioned back in the 70's and 80's, while the roads in the UK did get salted, it wasn't too often at all, where as these days, it seems at the first hint of snow or ice, there's tonnes of salt everywhere - and people have better cars to drive but are worse drivers now days - go figure!

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:03 AM

I haven't heard of subframes rotting in Oz but Spider would know more (much!) than I...

Yes, our lack of salt is a godsend. Like you, I've not seen any rot here, all my cars have original subframes as I think yours would too, the oldest in my current collection goes back to 1971.

However, our UK based brothers & sisters face a different story, some needing replacing every 2 or 3 years. There's just so many nooks and crannies in them, I can see how it happens. I was chatting with 4X Moke just the other evening on this and he mentioned back in the 70's and 80's, while the roads in the UK did get salted, it wasn't too often at all, where as these days, it seems at the first hint of snow or ice, there's tonnes of salt everywhere - and people have better cars to drive but are worse drivers now days - go figure!

ask him about 50-60 when everyone changed their tyres in the winter so they could get home/to work what ever the weather. "summer" tyres, as the Mainland Europeans call them will never be any good in the winter. I was back in the UK in 2009 when they had some serious snow over Xmas and we went out checking on some of the village oldies, I use the term Village loosely, many were very surprised when me and my Dad rocked up their drive by car. went on to explain Winter tyres, their eyes glaze over as they remember how they used to change over to "town and country" tyres....... safe to say all my "cars" have two sets of wheels.

#11 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

ask him about 50-60 when everyone changed their tyres in the winter so they could get home/to work what ever the weather. "summer" tyres, as the Mainland Europeans call them will never be any good in the winter. I was back in the UK in 2009 when they had some serious snow over Xmas and we went out checking on some of the village oldies, I use the term Village loosely, many were very surprised when me and my Dad rocked up their drive by car. went on to explain Winter tyres, their eyes glaze over as they remember how they used to change over to "town and country" tyres....... safe to say all my "cars" have two sets of wheels.

Couldn't agree more Nicklouse. I worked up in Shetland for two years and was staggered by the amount of locals who didn't use winter tyres in the colder months, on regularly icy and rarely salted roads (other than the major road up and down the island). We were constantly given hire cars in winter with summer tyres on, I seemed to be the only person making a fuss and insisting on a properly prepared car. There were several accidents involving my colleagues who were blissfully unaware of the issue until the were in a ditch. This was while working for a major oil company who 'put safety first' and had 101 rules about how we drive, but couldn't muster up the effort to make sure all the hire cars and pool cars were safe to drive in winter.

#12 Shooter63

Shooter63

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:05 AM

That's impressive. What year/model is the car?

1989 while I haven't owned the car from new, my cousin has serviced it since new, evidently the original owner had it waxoyled off the dealers floor and the underneath treated as well, then regularly re-treated, the front end panels have been replaced

Shooter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users