7 replies to this topic

#1 theminiproject

theminiproject

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

Hi, Im thinking of buying a 2000 Cooper Sport which is a 6hr round trip to view. Ive had pictures through and one had bubbling under the headlight. I want a pukka mini and your opinion would this likely new a new front end?

#2 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:17 PM

Ask for more photos of the wings, scuttle, arches, inner wings, a panels etc. As many as you can before making the trip. They tend to rust from the inside out and is very unlikely to be surface rust.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:57 PM

Hi, Im thinking of buying a 2000 Cooper Sport which is a 6hr round trip to view. Ive had pictures through and one had bubbling under the headlight. I want a pukka mini and your opinion would this likely new a new front end?

I did see your comment of FB and my long winded answers. 

#4 theminiproject

theminiproject

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:34 PM

#5 minimans

minimans

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

You'll never know till you look at it, could be just a local repair but the late mini's are renown for there ability to rust away

#6 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

Knowing what late Minis are like theres probably sod all paint on the underside of the wings and theyll be rusting from the inside out. Its also worth checking the bottom of the windscreen rubber as they like to rot there as well.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to keep the cost of a full front end replacement in mind when considering it.

#7 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

I would second budgeting for a front end.

I have had them in the past where you can get away with just replacing the front panel if the rust is fairly minor.

The rust in that seam starts from inside the arch working through the seam and the bubbling on the surface is usually the final stages of the rust showing it's face. By then, the only way to cure it is to split those seams and remove the rust fully or it will just keep coming back time and again.

Since it's difficult and time consuming to split these seams neatly in situ, it's often easier to just remove the front panel, clean up the wing seams providing they are good enough and then fit a new front panel making sure that rest prevention is performed by way of paint in the seams and a very through seal up both on the back and the front of the seams.

Obviously, if the rust is fairly minor there and hasn't broken into rusty holes, then the rust can be scaled back as clean as you can get it and then resealed front and back before painting but it won't be a permanent fix.

Good luck

Ben

#8 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:34 PM

my 10p's worth if it aint had a front end y aint it and it should have by now as rover was poo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users