#1 dojo

dojo

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:21 PM

2 quick questions.

I have a good block, just wondering out of curiosity whats the maximum BHP you can push an A series up to and retain some reliability?  I'm not fussed about engine noise, comfort or any of that?? 

I've got a stage 4 head ready to go on, looking at reboring from 1293 to 1330, putting some omega flat top pistons, 286 cam and a dogbox. 

Also I will look to remove the fibreglass front and reinstall steel... Is it fairly straight forward?? Another crazy question is it possible to put a clubman front on??

Thanks in advance

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:56 PM

anything is possible with money.

clubman inner wings are different so you will have lots of extra work. getting that right up by the scuttle.

why flat top pistons?

why would you want a dogbox?

reliable road drivable power fit a turbo.

and what is a stage 4 head when it is at home?

#3 area51

area51

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:52 PM

I think the gearbox can take upto 100bhp in standard form. Guessworks may be able to provide more acurate info on how much bhp the gear box can handle

#4 russo

russo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Nelson Inc.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:01 PM

Mini's in Nelson Inc. was very involved in preparing this mini for Bonneville Speed Week. In answer to your question it is possible to squeeze 300 HP from an A series engine.

https://www.stuff.co...ille-salt-flats

Edited by russo, 17 May 2018 - 10:03 PM.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

The big question is what the car will be used for. Also what annual mileage will it be doing and how often are you prepared to rebuild the engine?
A very powerful A-series engine is not really good for road use and best used for competition. Even an A-series with over 100 bhp, in a classic Mini will be relatively slow on normal public roads compared to modern cars.

#6 dojo

dojo

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:34 AM

Car isn't doing high mileage.. off on a few weekend driving trips and track days.

Why not Flat top pistons? I'll need new ones when I re-bore it

Stage 4 = only used that a reference as thats what Minispares and other companies call heads with the high power springs and 37mm/32mm valves

(Its basically a Vickers race head)

Dogbox for quicker changes so should improve performance. 
Thanks for the info on Clubman wings.... I'll just reinstall Austin front end when I get to it

I don't want to rebuilding engine very often so just wondering how far it can go with out having to be stripped every 6 months or so

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

what pistons you use depends on many things. I have never needed flat top pistons in a 1380 a 7cc dish is/was normal but that depends on the head and how many CC there are in it and what the CR works out as and what you need for the cam.

Dog box for fast gear changes. not really most people cant get the changes right anyway. and still use the clutch so no gain there.

so start with the cam you want for the power range you want and then build to that.

you don't just bolt things together.

#8 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Have you driven a Mini with a dog box? If you haven't you need to try one first, if you can't get the changes right you'll have a problem. Everytime you mess up the change you'll wear the gears. In a road car application with lots of unexpected changes you could end up with frequent rebuilds for the box.

It sounds as though you may have read about lots of expensive parts which in the correct application work well but don't all necessarily work well together.

#9 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Mini's in Nelson Inc. was very involved in preparing this mini for Bonneville Speed Week. In answer to your question it is possible to squeeze 300 HP from an A series engine.

https://www.stuff.co...ille-salt-flats

And rebuild it after every couple of runs .. :-)

#10 miniireland

miniireland

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 01:20 PM

i love these threads

#11 dojo

dojo

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

i love these threads

Glad to keep you entertained!

Driven straightcut box but not dogbox.

I'm happy using the box I have...  My next  job after the summer is to put new Cam in.

My train of thought was .... If I have to take engine out to change cam might as well rebore at that point, then if the option is there why not stick a better box in if the option is there (I know someone selling a dbox).

Just looking to build a quick toy thats all!!

#12 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 18 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

There's nothing better than building a quick toy, what you have to decide is how often do you want to rebuild it. You don't always have to go for max BHP to make it quick, with the right cam and head you can make a lot of torque and that will make it very tractable and fast on the road. If you go down the BHP route you'll have to rev it to get the max out of it and with revs come high wear and the more you'll have to rebuild it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users