5 replies to this topic

#1 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

Wondering if there's anywhere to get new helper springs?  Or will I just need to put a 50lb bag of cement in the boot so my car doesn't look like it's sitting on its nose.  :-)

Thanks!

Pat

#2 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

I'm not recommending this, but it got me by when my hydro collapsed in an 850: I put two motorcycle shocks on each side of the front from some old British bikes set to the firmest setting. I drove it like that for a few thousand miles. The only thing worse that I did was when my inner radius arm spindle mount ripped out when I was downtown backing up and I happened to have some coaxial TV cable with me that I made a "wishbone" suspension out of to tie the radius arm back under the car. I drove it like that for two weeks.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:28 PM

MiniMail always have good used ones available, there are two types depending on year:-

https://www.minimail.co.uk/parts/

HELPER SPRING - HYDROLASTIC . PRE 1966 . S/H  £15.00   U.21A1566
HELPER SPRING - HYDROLASTIC . REAR  1966 ON . S/H  £15.00   U.21A1806

Edited by mab01uk, 17 May 2018 - 07:29 PM.

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,843 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

It's not likely to be a rear helper spring issue, but that the front bags have sagged.

You can swap the fronts in to the back and viki-verka, it may sit nose up for a short while, but will come back.

#5 Mudhen

Mudhen

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

Thanks guys!  I never considered the bags might be the underlying issue...sounds like a miserable job.

hhhh…I want to party with you man!  But I'll probably drive myself to it, thx.  :-)

#6 hhhh

hhhh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

Okay, there was something worse: I always wanted a convertible, but all I could afford was a clapped out Austin 1100. So I tore the roof off with a hacksaw and a pair of vise grips (mole grips to you UKers). I sawed right across the door pillars betwen the front and rear doors and ripped the sheet metal above the windshield by clamping the vise grips and tearing them up an inch at a time. I actually went through a police roadblock with it and they were so preoccupied with checking for seat belt compliance, they didn't notice the shards of raw steel across the top of the windshield etc. My car was a 1966, the cutoff year for seat belts, so he let me pass for not wearing one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users